1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Some gear questions

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SamKS, Aug 27, 2010.

1. SamKS

SamKS Guest

Hey!

I'm very new to recording and have some questions.

I want to start recording my bands demos and have some knowledge of recording but not too much. I definitely want to run pro tools for recording and I'm looking into getting this bundle:

(Dead Link Removed)

I want to do live drums but you can see that the M box only has 2 XLR inputs. I was wondering if there is anything I can add to this to be able to give me about 6 more XLR inputs.

Also I'd like to be able to mix my stuff on a physical board instead of on the computer, do you have any suggestions on what I should get to do that and how to set it up?

I'm not a huge fan of this band (link below) or anything but I really like how these sound for demos. Does anyone have a good enough ear to be able to pick out what kind of mics/techniques they used for getting the drums/guitars to sound like that?

;)

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

You can get a "mixer", which will let you adjust volumes of several XLRs worth on the way in. After you finish playing, that's it. Set in stone.

You could get a "control surface", which will act in place of a mouse/keyboard to control DAW software and adjust the levels 'in the box'. In itself this doesn't give you any inputs.

But neither of those let you record >2 tracks at a time. That calls for something more substantial than the Mbox. 2 tracks is cheap, but 4? Or 8 at a time? Get out the credit card.

3. SamKS

SamKS Guest

Could you show me a couple things instead of the Mbox 2 that can let me record about 6-8 XLR and mix post recording.

4. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Budget?

Here's some options:

Presonus FireStudio

FireStudio Project

RME FireFace 800

Mackie

This hobby is not cheap. You can go cheap if you want but you will just end up upgrading again.

5. hueseph

As a rule USB interfaces are 2 input, 2 output. Firewire interfaces are capable of more simultaneous I/O.

6. SamKS

SamKS Guest

How do studios that run the Digidesign 003 rack get so many XLR inputs then? It's only 4, correct?

7. hueseph

4 mic inputs + 4 line inputs + 8 (or 16?) more via adat optical.