1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

some tips on how to mix live drums tracks

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Nemo20000, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Nemo20000

Nemo20000 Guest

hello. Having used drums samples and loops so far, now i am diving into a project where i have to mix real live drums recorded in a studio. The separate tracks comprise. as usual, snare, kick, toms, hihat, n.2 OH, and Figure-eight takes. Before getting into an uncontrollable mess, does anybody have some tips on how to start with it?
  2. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Sub mix everything but the kick to a stereo bus (if you're planning a stereo mix), and compress that to fit, and compress the kick separately, then mix together with the rest of the instruments and tweak to taste. That's is one method.

I usually just throw all the faders up and start there until I like what I'm hearing. There are a number of "seasonings" that can be thrown in. And "subtractive" mixing is my style (what can I do without). Simlpe is alway best for me. I use a clock as a "boundry/limitation." So, quickest is "best-est."