1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

somebody please help me :(

Discussion in 'Recording' started by joeash, Apr 9, 2012.

1. joeash

joeash Active Member

hi guys.
    im starting a home recording studio. i am going to purchase a 16 channel usb mixer and a decent microphone.
    my qyuestion is, do i need to buy a power amplifier to connect to the mixer or can i record without the power amp?
    help will be greatly appreciated

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

You can record without.

You only need an amplifier to hear through speakers. If the mixer has a headphone out, you can and should be able to hear everything that way without an amplifier. However, you will want to use external ( active) monitors that have built in amplifiers.

3. joeash

joeash Active Member

ok so im going to buy a usb mixer and a decent shure condenser mic, i have a kurzweil sp 4-8 digital keyboard that can be used as a controller. i have the recording software.
    what else do you suggest i need to run a functional home recording studio.
    i am new to this forum and i am extremely pleased with the speedy responses. thank you so much for the help.
    Joe

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What kind of USB mixer are you planning to buy?

5. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Depending on your situation, you may be just as well served by a less expensive, industry standard dynamic mic like the Shure SM58 and/or SM57. Condenser mics are by nature more sensitive - which is a double-edge sword, they may hear more audio artifacts from the room than you like.

6. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Need details because not all USB mixers are capable of recording sixteen channels at once!

7. gehauser

gehauser Active Member

Why do you need a mixer? I would just get an audio interface that handles the # of channels you need, and use your recording software as the mixer.

8. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

+1