1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Sonar 2.0 upgrade ... worth it?

Discussion in 'Sonar' started by oxyent, Apr 4, 2002.

1. oxyent

oxyent Active Member

I'm wondering if anyone has taken the plunge and upgraded to Sonar 2.0? I've got 1.0.3 and like it a lot, but I can't really tell from Cakewalks advertising whether the new stuff they've added makes the upgrade price worth it for right now. For me to upgrade from S1-XL to S2-XL is $169. Seems a little steep for a product that's mainly adding a few moreplug-ins(that I may or may not have a use for). Been watching for reviews but maybe it's too soon yet.
    :roll:

2. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Same here - I've been using Cake9/Samplitude on the old DAW, still waiting to finish getting all the ducks lined up for new 3 gHz P4/2gb ram, 8 80 gig drives, etc - I have XL 1.03 in house, along with some extra goodies, but $169 for a maintenance upgrade seems steep to me too. Think I'll wait and see... Steve

3. sturgis58

sturgis58 Guest

If you're still interested, 2.0 isn't all that. Unless you're a big midi/DX user, the upgrade wasn't too impressive, IMHO. Me - I'm an audio guy. I barely, if ever, take advantage of midi, I'm a guitar player, and I don't use keys. Except in dire emergencies....lol.

4. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Yeah, that was my reaction too, when Cake sent me a blurb on upgrades. I do all my audio in Samplitude, 'cause it kicks everybody's ass in my book - all I use Cake/Sonar for is midi, and if it wasn't 16 bit, Cake 5 would be enough! Maybe they'll get hungrier and offer the upgrade for something reasonable, like $50 or so; if not, there's lotsa other toys just beggin' fer a home... Steve