1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Sonar help

Discussion in 'Sonar' started by sorrowthief, Oct 15, 2003.

1. sorrowthief

sorrowthief Guest

Hi, I'm kinda new at recording so this may seem dumb. Anyways I am getting the new Sonar program and was wondering this... I want to record live drums possibly as much as 8 mics on them. What do I need to buy other than the sonar program to allow me to have complete control over every drum as if they were all seperate inputs. And caould you give me a list of some names if you would so I could do some research. Thanks a lot!

2. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

You'll need a means of recording 8 inputs simultenously, or you need to be willing to record one track at a time (how that works with drums though, I wouldn't know :d: )

SONAR can handle those multiple tracks at once with ease.

If you meant recording all those drums onto one track, then looking for a program that can seperate those back out into the individual drum tracks - sorry, no program can do that. Audio is just too complex for algorithms to seperate out what's already overlapping.

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

ST,

> What do I need to buy other than the sonar program to allow me to have complete control over every drum <

You need a sound card with eight or more inputs, plus a small mixer like the Mackie 1402 that can send each microphone input to a separate output.

See my recent article from EQ magazine about connecting a mixer to a computer. It's first in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan