1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio songs for RO

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by Kurt Foster, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

McKenzie River Run by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Bells and French Horns! Break out the Egg Nog!

Little One by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

3 versions of the same song. which do you like best?

In My Dreams 1 by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

In My Dreams 2 by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

In My Dreams 3 by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

nice! Refreshing and real.

3. Kurt Foster

Thanks.

all done itb at Cedar Flat. you asked for something to tweak so go for it if you want.

4. Kurt Foster

Everyone, Of the 3 versions "In My Dreams", which do you like best?

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Sorry for the delay, been mixing all week.

I like In My Dreams 1 by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

It sounds the most natural.

The other two sound processed, ITB, or something diddlydoo

6. Kurt Foster

thanks audiokid.

that's very interesting! the fist version is two tones lower, in E instead of G. also was tracked on the MCI and adat. simplest arraignment. 1 el guit, 2 ac guits, kick drum and bari guitar.

it's long been my favorite too. you have confirmed my feelings. i'm fond of the "Jordanaires" style b/g vocals. thanks for listening Chris.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

If you don't mind, keep In My Dreams 1 by river records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free online until I have a chance to load it into my rig. It sounds like it would be fun to try a few experiments on.

The other two ( sorry away from listing again for a bit ), one track had pronounced bass and the other, although it sounded clearer ( more mastered) has an unnatural presence like it was normalized a bit too much or something ( ITB sounding).

What are all the more specific processes, background of each track?

8. Kurt Foster

i'll keep them all up for at least awhile. i'd love to hear what you do with them.

the other versions were done at cedar flat. it's been a while so it's hard to remember. i am sure the bass is direct and there probably is a lot of master bus compression. those 2 were itb with cubase VST 5.1, 24 bit/44.1 through adat AI3 converters. mic pres would be JLM TMP8's and the Millennia SST-1 ORiGIN for the bass. vocals were the u87 and acoustic guitars were most likely one of my akg 451's. probably tracked through the LA3's or maybe the EL -OP.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Kurt, that sounds so good, I forgot how music used to sound. Reminds me of Hank Williams. Wonderful rich vocals and simple, clean acoustic work that made room for all that harmonic beauty.

Very nice.

I loaded into my rig. I'll post what I did in a while :)

Cheers!

10. Kurt Foster

i'm looking forward to hearing what you can pull out of it. thanks.

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Okay, been playing with this and did a A/B using a Bricasti that is inline on the 2-bus of my MixDream.

Keep in mind, this is an example of a recording of a recording.

Method:

• Tracked your soundcloud into Sequoia at 88.2
    • DA > MixDream>Bricasti (set at -20 wet gain)) on 2-bus>AD to second capture DAW at same SR (88.2).
    • Saved a clip of that as a wave file and imported it back into the original session as second track. No SRC.
    • Normalized both
    • Set a loop between the two tracks and did an AB.

Indaba Music

I can upload more bars but if you are like me, one bar or less for A/B tests is easy to stay focused.

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What do you hear?

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

longer examples:

Indaba Music

Indaba Music

14. Kurt Foster

i'm not getting any play back on any of the files.... just a couple of blips but nothing else.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

They work

Do you have quicktime installed for listening to audio? Its a good one to add to your PC for audio. Better security as well.

16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Your track already had a nice space to it so it wasn't necessary to increase the verb. I could have but didn't. The differences are subtle but there. Depending on monitoring, it may or may not be audible.

For added fun if you are interested, some subtle tweaking beyond this would be nice but I wanted to do one step at a time.

17. Kurt Foster

i finally got play back by downloading the files.

i think i am hearing a little more verb which i like it also sounds a bit more open (air) but its very subtle. the added air is probably coming from the processing added at 88 k ... the original file is 24 /44.1 at 32 bits.

nice

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks Kurt,

What I hear as well, more center focus and lower freq's. The track, being downloaded was at 44.1/16 and obviously not full bandwidth on soundcloud. But it sure sounds great. A recording of an already compromised track. What a glorious sound I hear when tracks are in their original state through this rig!

Man.... but the nightmare is learning how to upload it and keep it that way. What a challenge. And thats what everyone is talking about with transients. I get it now! You can't hear it ITB like you can OTB and mixed at lower volume. And once its uploaded, so much information isn't audible or visible.

If I didn't go OTB to do this, I don't believe this would ever be possible to make better. OTB is awesome. No 2 ways about it. The more I do this, the easier it is getting. I feel like I have been trying to work with parts of a puzzle missing. Its like having your ears unblocked and common scene right again. I have been mixing ITB for 13 years. Looking back now, its been horrible time wasted compared to now.

Remember how easy and great songs sounded as we tracked and mixes as we went. Final mixing wasn't a pain staking nightmare of compromising like it is ITB. The wall of sound ITB. yuck.

Nice you are allowing me to play with this and I'm really glad you are here. I'll do a bit more for fun later tonight.

19. Kurt Foster

44.1 /16 that's right. i forgot. this was tracked on an ADAT machine with the MCI 636 .... lol the others were done itb cubase vst 5.1 24/ 44.1 /32 bit itb.

senior moments ahhhhhhh!

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

here ya go:

There is a bit of clipping around the solo that was part of the track.

Indaba Music

I'll upload this on soundcloud so you can do a better A/B.