1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Songwriting and Producing: What about my copyrights?

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by Skyman, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Skyman

Skyman Guest

Due I´m new to the business, but not new to music, i´ve got a question and I hope that you all can help me...

I am producing three artists, I write all their songs and lyrics
    and do all the recording, arrengement and mixing.
    Now two major record companies are interested in that project and want them to sign.

Now the management of the artists (who is also the "finder and founder" of them") wants to have his name under my songs. He wants me to give up the copyrights and 1 percent of the returns of sales.

So what is usually in the business?
    Whithout me and my music there would not even be the deal with the recordcompany.
    If I don´t give him my Masters, he has nothing.
    So there has to be a solution between us. I hope you can give me some advice...

Thank you

Skyman

2. Gary Gidak

Gary Gidak Member

I'd tell him to take a flying F**K! This is very interesting, and close to home, because I was offered a "recording contract" in Germany about ten years ago, and the "producer" was basically trying to screw me just as hard. My band had an entire album (14 tunes) completed, and ready to go to master, but the contract wasn't signed yet - it was in German, and none of us knew enough of the language to translate the legal jargon. Once it was translated for us we discovered the "producer" wanted us to sign for 5 years, and 5%. What a scam! Needless to say, we watched as the tapes were bulk erased.

Don't let anyone screw you by thinking it's the only deal you're going to get. If you seriously want to get into this business, get an attorney. Let me say that one more time, and make sure you listen: Get an attorney! Don't waste your time asking for advice - from a bunch of people you don't know - on an internet forum. Get an attorney. Good Luck.

3. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

The band's management is not entitled to any portion of your earnings and certainly should never even dream of getting the copyrights.

Based on your description you get all the songwriter and producer income.

Get a good entertainment lawyer ASAP. It will cost you a couple hundred dollars at most to review any resonable offer sheet. Once you get close and it looks like you might be able to reach an agreement, spend more $$ having your attorny work the deal.

DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A Lawyer!!!!

4. Recording Engineer

Recording Engineer Active Member

If you are writing all their ltrics and melody lines, you and ONLY you get the PA Copyrights.

If you write the lyrics and someone else writes the melody lines, the PA Copyrights should be shared by you two ONLY.

Do this on a song-by-song basis.

There is NO compromise here!!!

If you write all the music having to do with instruments, arranging it all, and you're recording them, all without a fee, already being or have been paid, for hire for the project, in my opinion, it is fair for YOU to receive an equal-part of the SR Copyrights. So for example, if 4 people in the band, the SR Copyright should be equally-divided between the 4 band members and YOU.

If the band's management is offering his/her/their services all without a fee, already being or have been paid, for hire for the time and effort spent on the band, it seems fair for the band to equally-divide THEIR share ONLY of the SR Copyrights; assuming of course that the management has kept-up their part of the deal and has accomplished for the band what he/she/they said they could offer the band.

"Finder & Founder" has nothing to do with it more than likely in this case.

5. F*(K that, dude! I agree with sdevino... get yourself an entertainment lawyer, ASAP. Do not make ANY deals, verbal or otherwise, with ANYONE until hiring a lawyer.

6. Skyman

Skyman Guest

Thank you all,
    you supported me very much.
    I´ll get a lawyer and if I don´t get
    what I earn I will take my songs and go!

So thanks again and I´ll post again when
    I know more...

Skyman