1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Sound Card trouble

Discussion in 'Recording' started by gabrieluko, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. gabrieluko

    gabrieluko Guest

    I think i broke my soundcard(the one that comes built in the PC). I plugged my guitar into my amp and from the headphone jack of the amp into the PC. I didn't think it would inflict permanent damage but it did. I take this as an oportunity to upgrade my sound card because now mine is hissing alot. Anybody know of a sound card with an XLR jack for a mic and(obviously) an output??? I dont do multitrack so one channel is good enough... anyone know?

  2. cfaalm

    cfaalm Active Member

    None of the consumer grade soundcards come with an XLR. Most provide a stereo analog input.

    Using the headphone output from your amp is perhaps not a good idea to record your guitar. You'll need a microphone to do that properly. I'd suggest a Shure SM57. If you read around here, you'll know why. It's not expensive and very good, even suitable for vocals, snaredrums: a real workhorse.

    Please Google around for soundcards. Look here to get an idea of what you need.

    Good luck!

Share This Page