1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

soundcard advice..

Discussion in 'Recording' started by odog, Jun 2, 2004.

1. odog

odog Guest

i am purchasing a computer and everything needed to record mostly acoustic style music with some other instruments at some times...(drums, piano, electrik :) )

im not quite sure what type of soundcard to get.. 24bit , 96 khz im sure is all i need.. and for mixing do i just buy the mixer and plug it into the sound card?? im not realy sure how it all works..

any explanations would be gladly appretiated..
    thanks...
    :)

2. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

It all depends really on the way you work, an how many tracks you want to be able to record simultaneously.

If a stereo track at a time is all you need, then you'll only need a 2 in, 2 out card. If you want to record a whole drum kit or even record a band live you'll need something with 8-16 or even 24 Inputs.

All the audio sequencers that I know of have built in software mixers, so whether you need an external mixer will be something for you to weigh up, remembering then you'll want a Audio Card with multiple outputs so you can route these to your hardware mixer.

I know I've been a bit vague, but if there's anything else specifically you need to know there are many people 'round here willing to lend a hand. :)

3. odog

odog Guest

im not quite sure on what your talking about.. do you mean if i want to plug my guitar dirrectly intothe soundcard??

i want to buy a mixer so that when i do record drums/other instruments i can plug them into the mixer that plugs into the soundcard.. this is how it works right??..

thanks

4. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

odog

here's a link that should help you thru the process,,,,

not that we here at RO can't help, but this should help you undertsand basics, plus, :)

http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio_card.htm

goodluck

Sanity inn

5. odog

odog Guest

thanks a bunch :D

6. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

holly crap, i posted that 2 seconds ago lol

enjoy the read hope it helps

SI

7. odog

odog Guest

i am aminly going to record just acoustic guitar and drums somtimes. and mayie some other intruments .. so i like the idea of the mixer plugged into the soundcard.. i was just looking at some soundcard options and i thought this one MAudio Audiophile 2496
    was pretty good ...
    any suggestions

heres a link for the specs
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

thanks

8. odog

odog Guest

remember im just starting out,, so i dont want to drop a ton of money ... il most deffinately upgradel8er...

if theres any suggestions for any other card throw them down..
    thanks