1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Special Edition Brauner Phantom

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by John Stafford, May 14, 2005.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Anyone here got any ideas about this one? It's a cheaper limited edition of the Phantom C, but I wonder if it a lesser version. I'm seriously considering buying a Brauner, but I'm veering towards the Valvet or VM-1 (used of course :wink: ). In Europe the price is 1000 euro, but the Phantom C is 30% more expensive.

John Stafford

2. iznogood

iznogood Member

FWIW the vm-1 is far better than the others....

the vm-a isn't imo.

3. Johnson Cabasa

Johnson Cabasa Active Member

the phamtom c isn' t much better than a tlm 103 to begin with so if i were you i wouldn't waste my money. there is lots of chienese mics that also sound like ass for waty less

4. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I think I will probably end up with a VM-1 anyhow, leaving the Phantom in its case. I suppose it makes more sense to wait until I have the opportunity to buy a VM-1 :wink: I passed one up on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sort of regretting it.

5. jimbo_baby84

jimbo_baby84 Guest

hey iznogood, are you saying the VM-A isn't a good mic? have you used one or did you hear someones opinion? i'm very curious because to me this seems like the perfect mic if they've done it properly, and a huge waste of money if they havent. i was planning on getting one, but i can't find anyone who's used one

6. iznogood

iznogood Member

i generally do not write about thing i haven't heard....

used the vm-1 for years...... then i tried the vm-a to see how the "vintage sound mode" sounded..... i didn't like it at all.... so no reason to buy it over the vm-1....

i actually like the soundelux u-95 better..... but i don't think they make it anymore....

7. jimbo_baby84

jimbo_baby84 Guest

well that's a damn shame. it seemed like the perfect mic. i guess there is no perfect mic. hey did you ever notice slight diaphragm distortion on certain vocalists with the VM-1?

8. iznogood

iznogood Member

i noticed it being very sibilant.... coupled with the proximity effect it can sound pretty "hyped"..... not much eq needed to do r&b vocals :lol: