1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Special Microphone Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by LeroyGodspeed, Apr 12, 2007.

1. I'm looking for a microphone that has a somewhat 'telephonic' sound. Lo-fi, even naturally overdriven sounding. It would be used for an 'effected' vocal sound... peppered into the songs as opposed to being the staple vocal tone.

I've tried pre's and EQ's... and they are not bad, but i've really wanted to go a little more minimal with this project, and find a microphone that has this certain tone to start with.

Frankly i'm a little lost now. Megaphones are too honky, harmonica mics (at least the one i've tried) is still a bit too clear and normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard of the 'coppertone' mic that has similar traits, anyone have any experience with them?

thanks!

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Try
    1) Using a brickwall bandpass EQ at 300Hz to 3KHz and overdriving the input a little.
    2) Using cheap headphones as a microphone.
    3) Getting a toy megaphone and use it in front of a standard dynamic mic.
    4) Buying a listening-talking teddy bear and tap into the guts.
    5) As a last resort, and only after all else has failed, use the forum search engine. The topic has been covered several times.

3. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

$10 phone interface from Radio Shack?

4. dkelley

dkelley Active Member

get a cheap harmonica mic from apex or nady. similar sound to what you want. then run it through a guitar amp with a tiny bit of drive on it. that's how harmonica players do it after all...

Don

5. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

A friend of mine keeps an old telephone handset around his studio for such occasions. He has it wired with an XLR connector to make it easy to implement. Andy

6. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

If you have console the talkback mic works well.

Also I just did a song for nee dance called inlimbo:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=93532773

The main vocal were put through through the Grungelizer in neuendo.

here

Not sure if thats the sound your looking for, but it worked well for Nee Dance.

Sounds a bit portishead ish to me.