1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Specific drum overhead question (with my UA 2108)...

Discussion in 'Room & Overhead' started by Bhennies, May 27, 2004.

1. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

Hi...this is my first post, and I just wanted to start out by saying that this site is a fantastic resource. However, I searched the old threads, and still couldn't quite get an answer to my question. So here goes:

I am just getting into recording drums, and I already have a beta-52 for the kick, a few sm-57's, and a BLUE berry mic (mostly for vox). I am looking for a pair of small diaphragm condensers to go through my Universal Audio 2108 pre as overheads, and then I was going to run the beta 52 and sm57 (kick and snare) through the 002 rack pres (yuk, but what can I do). I was not looking to spend a lot of cash on these, so I was looking at the studio projects c4's (i love the price!), but I'm wondering if I should just cough up the money and step up to something midrange (AKG c451, Shure SM*! territory). I have ZERO experience with small-diaphragm condensers so any help is much appreciated.

Here's the sound I'm trying to achieve: My kit is a mahogany 1959 vintage Ludwig (mid size kick, 22", i believe (as you can tell I'm not a drummer). I am very much into old dub records and such, but I want a crisper sound on the cymbals (not so muddy or muffled)- I want the hihats and ride (zildjian mastersound 13" and custom dry ride--K-ride) to really sound sharp and crisp, but not overboard. I will most likely be adding other drum sounds on top of the live kit (I produce down-tempo- dub-jazzy-hip hop beats).

I guess the question is, will the pre really do the trick with a medium quality mic like the c4, or should I step up into earthworks, Neumann range? I don't really have the money, but gotta make the right decision up front. If anyone has a suggestion for the specific tone I'm trying to achieve, please let me know. THANKS A MILLION!

p.s. the cheaper the mics I get, the more money I can throw into taming the room!
  2. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    i mic i think you sould look into is an old EV 636 i love the sound of thouse on drums, if find a condenser is to bright mix in a litle of thiese and and its really fluid and reel(not real) sounding and sounded like what you want.
  3. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Mar 31, 2002
    First I would reverse your pre-amp usage. Your UA is a relatively muddy pre-amp (I have one) and I would use it on the snare and kick rather than the overheads.

The 002R (which I also have) would be my first choice given your gear for overheads. The 002 are not the quietest pre's in the world but the are VERY clean which I think is very important to get clear beautiful stereo imaging of the cymbals etc. For overheads I would use a pair of omni SD condensors as a first choice. Something like Earthworks SRO (on a budget) or QTC30 if not on a budget.

But the key to your organic drum sound is going to be placing a room mic (in omni mode) somewhere in the room at least 10 feet from the drums. This one channel will make the kit sound real.