1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Speck xtramix

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by patrick, Jul 15, 2001.

1. patrick

patrick Guest

I am using synthesizers and a sampler going into a daw (Yamaha 4416), and am planning to build up my front end (following the wisdom of all of you who give great advice here :) ).

A few questions:

How does it sound?

Is there any other small mixer--fewer input channels would be acceptable--in it's price range or lower, that would be comparable in sound quality or better? (The Speck is $3500 at Mercenary).

If not, how much more would it cost for a mixer of equivalent sound quality (again, fewer inputs would be acceptable), with the addition of decent eq and mic-pre's? (Any examples?)

Thanks!

2. patrick

patrick Guest

Thanks Bob.

Your comments came at a very good time. When I first posted, I was just thinking about future possibilies, but I then happened to come across a used Xtramix on the Speck website, and with your comments for backup, I decided to go for it.

I was back in Canada cooling off for a month before I got it shipped here, but now it's set up and sounds just great. I can hear everything much better than before, including the difference between before and after digital conversion, which means that now I have to buy some better converters. (Well, if I'd know about these forums and been learning about equipment and stuff here before I got the Yamaha, I might not have got it, but now I've got it so I'll have to see what I can do with it. But I certainly need better converters!).

Anyway, the Speck sounds absolutely great, so i just wanted to say thanks.

patrick