1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

spelling Converter vs. Convertor

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by audiokid, Jun 16, 2016.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

As I am cleaning up content for better search results, fixing misspelled keywords I am wondering what is the correct spelling for the word converter vs converter?

There are approx:
    • 659 matching results with "converter" .
    • 8,818 matching results with "converter".
    I suspect converter is the correct spelling and feel I should correct all the posts where this has been misspelled.
    @Boswell and please, others... How do you spell this?

Note, if someone is searching for information and misspells a word, the search engine will only pull up the misspelled word. Their are ways around this but the general public doesn't know that as we just type and accept what shows.

2. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Iv'e always thought it was spelled converter

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I agree, I have corrected all the misspelled to converter. That is a hell of a lot of posts that will now reflect correctly.

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

My dictionary says both are acceptable. The same applies to adapter / adaptor.

converter.png

adapter.png

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've done this with a lot of products as well. To name a few... Milenia corrected to Millennia, neuman to Neumann

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

7. dvdhawk

Back to Webster's….

"Analog" would be an adjective used to describe sound and/or sound equipment. That's the one you want.
    "Analogue" is a noun, so that's not how it's usually used around here.

And in this case, I don't think it spills over into the preferred British spelling of a word, as you would have with color vs. colour for example. Our resident English gentlemen will be sure to correct me if that's not true.

audiokid likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Dear Bos, I fear you are going to be upset. I trust I have researched analogue vs analog correctly. To my understanding analog it is now globally referred more to do with pro audio. Analogue is old school and more common with older literature.
    Or:

Because we are entering a global engine that reads and ranks words, analogue does not show results in pro audio.
    I have rewritten it. If I am proven wrong and it serves us better to change analog back to analogue, I will in a heart beat.

Forgive me Bos. I'm moving with how google is going. Not always respecting personal choices is not easy at times.

9. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

It has always been my understanding that analog applied to anything audio related as opposed to analogue

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

How about "buss" vs. "Bus" ?

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

12. dvdhawk

I agree, bus appears to be correct.

audiokid likes this.
  13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Any other words people find that fall into this thread, please advise me. Spelling words to reflect our industry lingo is very important.

Thanks for the help! :love:

14. dvdhawk

Brits use google too.

If you go to the Merriam-Webster site, you'll get the more American spelling first and sometimes the British alternate spelling.
    If you go to the Oxford Dictionaries site and search by British & World English, you'll get the British version first.

There you will find "analogue" used as an adjective in reference to audio too, so both are perfectly acceptable.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I agree and have taken this into consideration.

As an example for web design and coding... I am forced to use USA. Even though Brits and Canadians share most of the same dictionary, I am adapting to the open source language.

I think in regards to analogue vs analog, analog has become the international acceptance to pro audio, especially from what I see in the manufacturers notes. I'm guessing manuals for the older British still use it but I have a feeling its old school. or lower ranking. Ranking is what I have to go by.

Thoughts?

16. dvdhawk

Google would most likely pull up the spelling appropriate to the IP address location.

I'll be anxious to see what Boswell has to say on the subject.

FWIW, I just pulled up a pdf manual for a Focusrite Green3 and it uses "Analogue", as does a Midas manual (both British companies), and I found "Analoge" in a Sebatron manual from Australia.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hmm... interesting. In Canada, we have dropped it.

It would be choice if we could rebuild the forum to reflect languages and geo locations.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I wonder if this language pack they speak about would help us. https://xenforo.com/help/languages/

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

20. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Over the years, is Brits have got far less concerned about the US mangling of certain words, and of course the various alternative words. Some are always funny. We read stories about bands on stage talking about what colour pants they should wear and we immediately wonder why anyone would be on stage with their pants on show, as to us, pants are underwear, and let's not even get into boot/trunk, hood/bonnet etc.

Analogue vs digital signifies a UK/EU source, and will be found in manufacturer documents intended for our side of the water. If I see analog, I just know it's a US source. Analog has NOT become an accepted international spelling. While not objecting to it on a forum, or instruction manual from the west side of the Atlantic, I would object strongly if used here. I also cannot use a system where a word can be mangled for one sense, and not for another. Which ever spelling you choose is fine, but stick with it. You cannot change spelling on something that has a single meaning. That is ridiculous. Nouns and adjectives with different spelling? Why?

As for bus - as its a contraction of busbar, which is the derivation of the contraction - adding a letter seems wrong. There is no international use of bussbar that I can fine, so bus would appear to be the sensible spelling.

After 40 years of steadfastly using 'aerial' instead of antenna, I gave in last year, and now use the US preference, so I'm not rooted in my history, but analog is fine. I understand it but won't use it. The worst word in this kind of discussion is far weirder in its British origin. Diarrhoea!