1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Spider III Vs. Spider IV, 75 Watts Vs. 120 Watts

Discussion in 'Recording' started by submersed, Sep 11, 2009.

1. submersed

submersed Guest

Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing a guitar amp, specifically for recording. I'm wondering higher watts will have any effect on recording quality. I will be using the record out jack they have on the amp, not micing it.

Also, what differences am I going to see between the Spider III and Spider IV? The only difference I could find was 4 additional amp models, and 50 more presets. Are there any other large differences in these two models?

How will the quality sound using the recording out jack, to a USB 2.0 preamp, to my DAW?
  2. Link555

Link555 Distinguished Member

Mar 31, 2007
    North Vancouver
    Watts don't really matter in the line 6 stuff, as the power amp stage is clean in them.

Go for the one that has the sounds you like. I have the Spider 15 and found the direct out on very noisy,I don't use it that way.

I do mic it, an it sounds the same loud or quiet which I like.

A Lot of people buy lower watts tube amps and crank them to get a natural compression from the rectifier tubes.

With the DSP amps you don't get that, but you do get a consistant sound. If you like that sound, great!