1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

SPL Channel One

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Brendan O'Shea, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Has anyone had any experience with this preamp? This will be my first preamp purchase, (used for main vocals) and it sounded great in the shop. I've tried the Amek CIB, AU6176, and they seem to sound superior on some material, but not like double the price better. Is anyone using an SPL Channel One and able to comment/ I'd appreciate your input.

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

I own a pair of the AMEK CIB but bought and mostly use it just for the eq. Have not heard any of the SPL stuff but if you think it is as good as the CIB which I know to be a great mic pre and overall unit, then it is likely to be a good unit for you. The UA 6176 is on my to buy list and having the 1176 comp which is one fo the most sought after comps ever made gives 6176 high value for use on may tasks.

3. Thanks Audiogaff. I certainly don't think it's as good as the CIB, but to my inexperienced ears, there's not much in it, and the CIB is double the price. Since this is my first major preamp purchase, I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything, or listening for the wrong things. This SPL sure sounds great though. I'm just wondering if anybody with more experience than me have had anything to do with this unit.