Split track CDs

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by OTRjkl, May 9, 2003.

1. OTRjkl

OTRjkl Guest

I think this might really be a mastering question - only in reverse....

A client brought in a split track CD and wanted me to adjust the level of the vocal track relative to the music track. Piece of cake in the DAW.

However, when I tried to copy the music track (which is obviously mono), delay it and pan it to get a pseudo-stereo sound, one side was quite a bit louder than the other.

Questions are:

1)Any ideas why this happened?

2)Does the ME do a special mastering job specifically for a split-track CD, or is that something that is done during the final mixing/editing phase at the studio? (I realize that you can't "un-mix" the vocals and pan them, I'm just wondering if the ME treats a split-track CD any differently than a normal CD.)

3)What would be the correct way to "undo" this disc and make the mono music track sound at least somewhat stereo (assuming that I did it wrong...)?

(Is this an M/S thing?)

Thanks for the insight...
  2. joe lambert

joe lambert Distinguished past mastering moderator Active Member

Oct 17, 2001
    321 West 44th Street Suite 1001
    Home Page:

You have a mono vocal and a mono track.

I would double the mono track so you have a left and right. I wouldn't mess with the delay thing. It doesn't really work the way you might think. Put a stereo reverb on the vocal track put the vocal in the center, the verb hard left and right maybe try a different reverb on the track to give you some stereo info. Mix it all together.

It should be a lot better than what you started with.

Then master it!
  3. doulos21

doulos21 Guest

sounds like you screwed up to me its mono how could a channel sound louder? i think your stero prossing had a m s switch engaged that would make the left louder of a "mono" track i second the idea of steroing the mono tracks but as far as the vocals i wouldnt pan them hard right hard left id find a place where they sat better in the mix you can really make those vocals tight if you play with it awhile good luck
  4. doulos21

doulos21 Guest

opps 2 posts
  5. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Distinguished Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC New York
    Home Page:
    This is a common thing. the side that is delayed is going to sound softer that the side that is not. the ear thinks that the non delayed side is closer. Put everying up the center and call is mono.