1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Splitting a stereo track into two mono tracks?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by quesne, Jun 26, 2009.

1. quesne

quesne Active Member

Hello:

I am doing some recording with a 4 track handheld recorder (Zoom H4n). It creates two stereo wav files (Mic L-R and Instrument L-R). Once I import the files into two stereo tracks in Cubase 4, I would like to split the stereo files into 4 separate tracks.

Is there an easy way of doing this? Thanks!

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I don't know about Cubase really.

In Audition you would highlight the stereo track in Edit mode. Press Ctrl-R (or L) and <save as>. Repeat with the other half of the selection. Now you have two mono files where there was one stereo file.

Alternatively you could duplicate the track and hard pan one L and hard pan the other R.

3. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Does Cubase split a stereo track into .L and .R files when imported?

If so, you should be able to just create two mono tracks per stereo track, then drag each to the mono track.

4. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

cubase does give you an option to split a stereo track into 2 mono ones. it doesn't get easier than that.

5. quesne

quesne Active Member

Could you please describe to me how to accomplish that?

The only time Cubase asks if I want to save to different tracks is if I have selected multiple wav files to import.

And regardless of what I do, it always imports each stereo wav file into a single stereo track.

Thanks for any help!

6. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

are you sure you have cubase 4 and not cubase le? i don't that option is available in le.

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

It would appear from the 4LE documentation that splitting a stereo file on import is not available like in the full version. Here is a work around.

Import your stereo track. Adjust the pan hard left. Bounce to new track/file. Save this new track/file. Remove it from the session. Go back to the original track and pan hard right. Bounce this to a new track/file. Save this one with a new name. Now you have two mono files.