Spring Reverbs?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by tonewoods, Feb 15, 2001.

1. tonewoods

tonewoods Guest

The review of the Demeter box in the new Mix got me thinking I'd like to try out a spring reverb for certain things, but don't necessarily want to drop 5-600 bucks on a unit...What are some other spring 'verbs of the past that are worth having a look at?

I remember the Furman sounded pretty good, but it's been years since I've heard one...any good?

Lemeesee...other brands...Sound Workshop, Biamp, and I saw a Fairchild go for a reasonable price on ebay recently...

Any feedback greatly appreciated...

2. Gregg

Gregg Guest

Bruce,

Every once in a great while Peavey makes something worth having! My find was a unit of theirs called the "ValveVerb." I got it very cheap as the original owner, who spent $500 for it, had no luck and it sounded thin. I scored it for $175 with an eye toward cannibalizing it for another project. It's a pretty unit. Well, turns out that the problem was the "size" of the 1/4" receptacles. They weren't connecting properly. It was a quick fix for which I used some switchcraft females. Voila, +great+ spring verb (with 3 band EQ on the verb) and it does cool things to stuff fed through it with the verb off, too. If you can find one, check it out. Instant twang.

:D Cheers,

Tonebarge

3. Kevin F. Rose

Kevin F. Rose Active Member

....don't forget the trippy trem.
    It's a low fi thing but that's usually what I look for in a spring.

4. Gregg

Gregg Guest

D'oh, you're right! And I just used it on a lead part. Super shimmer. Tres cool!

Tonebarge ;)

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

If you can find away to land on a Fairchild 658, do it. Don't let the "F" word scare you, this is a "squalid state" thing, with 3 'reverb spring tanks'. I don't think I've ever paid more than $2-300 for one.

They are the absolute balls on a guitar part, or the return from an echo unit.

6. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

As per TB et al.'s Valverb recomendation, I hear it's a nice box, but I always heard that in the context of a guitar rig. Might be an issue to someone, might not. But they did that one right, healthy plate voltages on the tubes and all. I could see it having a place in the studio.

I use the Roland RE-201 a bunch. It's the middle step in the Space Echo line, analog tape delay with lots of knobs, adjustable input and output levels, and a spring reverb which is great at sounding like, well, spring reverb. It isn't going to make you sell your PCM-70 or whatever, and it hardly acts as a room simulator, but used distinctively as an effect with a weirder delay setting (particularly when "playing" the delays) it can be useful. Ya know, dub, mon. The odd thing is that it was probably considered a somewhat professional piece of gear in its day. My box cost me $200 in near mint condition about 7 years ago. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for same today, but I don't know how that jibes with the market. If you could care less about the tape delay and just want the reverb, this should probably be around the bottom of your list is my guess.

da Bear

7. Hey Bear,

I just dug out my old RE-201 that's not been used since 82-83 "It still works"!! Seems like I remember this thing being very noisy but it is fairly quite in my "good gear"Do you have any suggestions for any mods etc. I will be doing the normal cleaning of pots, heads, etc. but wanted to know if you or any one else have any ideas.

8. Bear's Gone Fission

No mods that I know. Just keep it clean and in tape. The "vintage" tape you'll spot on ebay or from unscruplous dealers is a scam, it's usually close to twenty years old. Just find lubricated cart tape (like they use for PSA's for radio) and splice it to the existing loop just after it has passed the heads, and let it cycle till you're back through and you should have about the same length of tape replaced as was there.

If you want to get freaky, play the regeneration like an instrument. Hours of fun.

da Bear

9. Kevin F. Rose

Kevin F. Rose Active Member

It uses Cart tape and be sure to keep the tape off the heads when not in use. Where's Scott Dorsey when you need him?<g>

10. Bear's Gone Fission

Kevin, exscuse my ignorance here, but why take the tape off the heads? You have me worried.

da Bear

11. hargerst

hargerst Distinguished Member

Bear, leaving the tape pulled tight across the heads can put a crimp in the tape. It used to be that leaving the tape in contact with the heads also could cause some permanent magnetizing problems, but that hasn't been a problem for quite a while. But humidity can also cause some tapes to stick to the heads and glog them.

12. mitgong

mitgong Guest

Anybody know of a good source for cart stock to fit the Roland Space Echo and Korg Stage Echo? In what way is it "lubricated"?

13. Ed Gerhard

Ed Gerhard Guest

Fostex made a spring reverb for awhile, and I thought it sounded pretty smooth. Don't remember much about it, but I'm pretty sure it was a dual mono, -10 unbalanced thing. Sold it to a folksinger about 13 years ago. Wish I had it back!
    Cheers,
    Ed

14. POP

POP Guest

I've owned a Master Room XL-305 since the early 80's and recently purchased another, for $100. These units sound fabulous, they have a totally unique sound that requires a lot less return level to be audible in the mix. The shine of course on guitars, but I have had great results on vocals also...
    Highly recommended!

15. cww2

cww2 Guest

I have the Fairchild unit that Fletcher wrote about. Its a beautiful sounding reverb. I like it quite a bit on snare drum. I paid $200 for it. I bought it from an NBC affiliate and was told it originally came out of Stax....I thought it smelled a bit like Marvin Gaye......

cww2