1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

sputnik?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by trt, Jun 16, 2006.

1. trt

trt Guest

hey y'all.
    anyone tried out the sputnik by m-audio (newish tube mic). looks like it could be good, but I'm not sure I trust m-audio for mics.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I only recently heard about this microphone also in new nothing about it myself. Now I see you've mentioned it and I recently saw an ad for it. WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS their advertisement indicates that this particular tube condenser microphone has a PENTODE tube and not a TRIODE like most of the others.

"Does this make it better than Triodes?"

The answer is yes AND no. Triodes are generally lower in noise and have 2 separate stages of amplification.

But! Ahhhh Pentode sounds different from a Triode. So if you are interested in a different flavor tube condenser microphone sound, something that could very well sound more similar to a Neumann U-67, since that was a microphone that used a Pentode and not a Triode, I'd say it's probably a worthy investments? I was even intrigued by reading that since I am the owner of 2 U-67's and I've never seen that tube yet used in any of these other modern-day Triode based tube condenser microphones, which frankly don't sound like my U-67's.

I'll see you on eBay
    Ms. Remy Ann David