SRC help needed

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by MMH, Feb 13, 2005.

1. MMH

MMH Guest

I work in pro tools, generally in a 24/96 session. I am currently processing AIF 16/48000 tracks. Do I import them in a 24/96 session or do I create a 16/48 session?

I use Pro Tool 6.7 LE on a G5 Mac osX.

I will eventually cut a 16/44.1 CD-R. I only have the POW-r plug in in pro tools for dithering.

Thank you

MMH

2. iznogood

iznogood Member

convert to 24bit/44.1kHz before you mix... then you have a chance of making up for the quality loss...

then dither down to 16bit as the last thing...

3. MMH

MMH Guest

Thanks

If I understand correctly you are suggesting that I create a 24/44.1 session in protools and then import the 16/48 tracks in there.

I always dither at the very end

Again thank you for the help

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are using to SRC. I personally like to stay in the native sample rate but if you are using the protools SRC, they you should play around with both ways to see which is molested less.

5. MMH

MMH Guest

Thanks

I have just got Barbabatch for SRC.

Any other advice?

If i stay in 48 do you suggest I go up to 24bit or stay in 16?

Thanks again

MMH

6. Michael Fossenkemper

what is it you are trying to do? is this just a straight transfer or are you adding things? Not sure I have what the objective is.

7. MMH

MMH Guest

Essentially I am mastering tracks I received in AIFF 16/48. Unfortunatly I only have pro tools to work with.

I was wondering if processing in 24bit is a better option or if I should process (comp/ eq) in the native settings of the tracks (16/48) like you suggested earlier.

After I process the tracks I will dither with Barbabatch to get to 16/44.1

Thank you for your time

MMH

8. Michael Fossenkemper

I said I prefer to process in the natice sampling freq (48k in your case), It's a good idea to do everything in 24bit regardless of sampling freq. what I would do is master it as 24/48 and then bump it down to 16/44.1 for CD. If you are using the 24/48 for the DVD you can keep it at that or AC3 it from that file.

You can use barbabatch to SRC it too, much better than protools.

9. MMH

MMH Guest

Thank you for your advice and your time

I really appreciate professional people like yourself who share their knoledge with others, investing in yhem in a very practical way rather then protecting their space and knowledge

Thanks

MMH