1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Stands, clips, clamps for micing drums.

Discussion in 'Accessories & Connections' started by BobRogers, Apr 19, 2008.

1. BobRogers

BobRogers Distinguished Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    I'm getting tired of several of my cheap/makeshift stands - particularly those I'm using for micing drums. I have good stands for overheads and vocal mics, but most of the stands for getting into hard to reach places and old cheap stands that I've hacksawed and jerry-rigged. Time to buy something good and sturdy.

What do you use for your kick mic, or for an under snare mic? I was looking at this K&M stand. Any good? Also, for putting a 57 on a snare - is there a good clamp that someone can recommend to replace a stand and keep things from being such a hairball around the set.
  2. The Audix D-vices (interchangeable with standard 5/8" clips) are my favorite clampstyle holders: the neck is generous and flexible enough to offer a fair amount of placement options.

As for kick drum--since all my stands are cheap boom stands and I have many--I took the clip off one stand and swivelled on a boom arm from another stand, forming a boom stand with a jointed arm. It takes up some space, but generally in front of the kick it's no problem, and FrankenStand satisfies all my placement needs.
  3. zemlin

zemlin Distinguished Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    Home Page:
    I have the Shure DMK-5752 drum mic kit - it comes with the A56D clamps which work quite well. @ $40 each, they are a bit pricey to buy separately though ...

If you need some SM57s, the Shure kit is a pretty good deal (IMHO) - available here for $334 http://www.fullcompass.com/product/269391.html you get (3) SM57s, the Beta 52, and 3 of these clamps in a case for not a lot more than you'd spend on the 57s alone.

K&M stands are good. I buy only AKG stands, which I believe are made by K&M - heavy, sturdy, great clutches. The weakness in AKG stands is how the threaded fitting is crimped into the ends of the tubes. I have one come loose on occasion - I fix it by drilling a hole through the tube and fitting and using a nail as a pin to secure things - quick, easy, and secure. I've had to do this twice in about 8 years with 8 stands - two of these fittings per stand/boom combo.
  4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    I have that drum mic stand you linked to
    but I don't use it for kick
    I have a smaller unit with a heavy solid base
    AND I still use a sand bag on it

sand bags are good

I have other small K/M stands and cheapies that I do use for drums and guitar amps

I also have the drum clamps
    trouble is that, these Klamps are just not about these days so I can't link to them ... they can hold SM57s easy
  5. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    I have a dozen or so of those K&M boom stands in various sizes from the ultra low profile to the tall ones - they are the best in the price range in my experience. They don't droop during use or fall apart in the mic stand bag. The folding legs can be a bit stiff, but that's no bad thing.

I also have some telescopic clamps in different sizes for use around drum kits or where space is tight. These have a top end like a conventional boom stand but parasitize another mic stand's tripod legs by clamping on to the upright shaft. OK for light mics, but not for use with heavy LDCs, though. I can get three mics on one set of legs this way, reasonably mechanically balanced and individually adjustable..