1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

starting over with a pc or mac in pro tools le help :(

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by blackonemusicgroup, Apr 14, 2008.

1. hello all. Im about to build a new studio and im not sure if i should go pc or mac. I was sure pc was 4 me especially since my last studio which ive been in 4 8yrs is pc based but i came across a couple of engineers who told me that pc based protool le has a lot of bugs and just overall i will come across a lot of problems on the pc. I will be using fl studio 8 and a couple of virtual instruments. Please let me kno if any of you guys have pc based protool le and the problems u do or dont have. I have searched the forum about 12 or so pages and found similar posts but i didnt think any of them answered my question. If i do go pc how do these specs look:

Motherboard: Asus w/P35 Chipset
    CPU: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz / 1066MHz Front Side Bus
    RAM: 4GB DDR2/800 (4 x 1GB)
    system drive: Glyph Seagate 500GB SATA 7,200 RPM
    Audio drive: 2 x Glyph Seagate 500GB SATA 7,200 RPM "Raid Ready"
    Ports: 2 x FireWire (6-pin rear), 9 x USB 2.0 (6 back, 3 front)
    Video Card: GeForce 8600GT
    2 Dual-link DVI
    PCI Slots: 1 x PCI-e x16, 2 x PCI-e x1, 1 x PCI-X, 2 x PCI 2.2

I will have the Mpk49 and the Yamaha KX8 midi controller and Scratch ( the dj software)

Any suggestions ( both PC vs. MAC or PC Specs for Protools LE) would be greatly appreciated,
  2. BrianaW

BrianaW Active Member

Jan 10, 2008
    New York
    I have a friend who used the M-Powered ProTools rig and yes, he said it was a little buggy and sluggish. This could however just be the M-Audio version. My guess is if you were using a Digi interface, things would be pretty smooth. Do you have your heart set on ProTools? From what I understand, Digidesign hasn't even updated it to run correctly on the new build of OSX yet. Someone else will definitely be able to answer your question much better than I, but I do build PC's and your specs are pretty darn tight. I'd think you could run pretty much anything with that rig. :)
  3. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Jan 17, 2007
    You are correct Briana - Pro Tools LE doesn't run on Leopard just yet. Which is absolutely ridiculous, if you ask me.

If you're going to build a PC, you can find all the necessary specs on Digidesign's website. They're a bit fussy when it comes to PC components. I would definitely check your specs with theirs, especially with the chipset. I found that out the hard way.
  4. thanks a lot for the info. Protools hd is the only one that works with the new mac OS. thanks again i'll run the specs past digidesign
  5. BRH

BRH Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    LA, CA
    I have PTLE 7.4 running with an 002 board and a 2008 Mac Pro 3.0 8-core,
    OS 10.5.2... seems to run fine. Can't say that for the plugins.....i've lost Waves for now.