1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Stereo Mobile Recording Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Bowisc, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Bowisc

Bowisc Active Member

I need some suggestions for recording 2-track live feeds, or for capturing sound-effects. Something under $800.

Originally I thought of just getting a nice portable Minidisc player/recorder (Sharp)... but now I'm looking into the recorder pictured below. It uses widely-available compact flash (which I happen to use in my digital camera), can record in many formats, has two mic inputs, phantom power, SPDIF in/outs, etc...

It runs about $700

More info here: marantzpro.com/Products/PMD670.html

Any suggestions?

Bowisc

2. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

It looks like a good unit; I red a review on a Mix magazine a couple of months ago and it seemed to work OK (but what doesn't in magazine reviews..??). Anyway, I'd check it out, and make sure the converters are good quality; another option could be to get a portable preamp/AD converter like the Apogee Mini me and feed the Marantz via the SPdif, so to be sure about the sound quality.

Hope this helps

L.G.

3. Bowisc

Bowisc Active Member

I like the Mini-Me option... probaly at a later date though... but I'd have to get an external battery-pack. (?)

Bowisc

4. mikedaul

mikedaul Guest

the current-gen md recorders are pretty good, especially for the $$.