1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Stereo recording with Focusrite ISA 220

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rifkijones, Jun 13, 2013.

1. rifkijones

rifkijones Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Hi I just added some new gear to my setup. A matched pair of SE Electronics SE1A's and a Focusrite ISA 220. I would like to get a nice acoustic sound recording with matched pair mics, but notice the 220 has only one output. Does anyone have any thoughts on a likely workaround as I would like to use the matched pair. I know I could probably record with one and double up in the DAW, but then i wouldn't be getting the full use of the mics. The ISA 220 comes with stereo converter A/D card, but I really don't want to be clocking and syncing if I can help it
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The ISA220 takes a single (mono) mic or line input, amplifies, EQs, compresses and de-esses it, then presents the result to one half of a two-channel A-D converter. The second input of the converter is fed from a separate input jack. While it is possible to plug the output of another pre-amp into this jack, the gain and effect stages are not going to match that of the ISA, so the result could not be called stereo; dual-mono would be a better term for it.

The ISA220 is a lovely single-channel pre-amplifier, but I'm puzzled: did you buy it specifically to use with the two SE1A microphones? If so, whose advice did you take on this purchase?