1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

SterlingAudio ST69 vs. BlueBird mic.

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by SeniorFedup, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

Hello microphiles,
    there are two microphones i have been looking into after deciding on a dedicated vocal microphone. I since have used an sm57 for scratches and an earthworks tc25 omni ( part of drum kit) for better vocals which to me sound okay. I have also been using a studio projects c1 borrowed from a friend. All sessions are recorded in a sorta dedicated closet treated with a mattress, carpet ,and some blankets with one side being the thin wood closet door that will be mattressed up soon enough.
    After reading the recent under 1k mic thread, I have been close to purchasing the bluebird(300$), until a friend at gc recommended a sterling audio mic at the same price. Eventually i was suggested the st69 tube mic with own power supply(600$)
    My voice is that of a male tenor in academic training and have influences from Andrea Bocceli , Josh Groban, Jeff Buckley. And interested ina mic dedicated for this kind of sound.
    I am currently one step from buying a vox mic. However , advice from the .org would be taken into consideration. Many have praised the bluebird at 300$ ... While the sterling has been praised by a newman tlm and sterling st69 owner ranged at 600$.
    Is the bluebird in the same level as the ster. St69? Or is praise froM the bluebird only comming from a lower budget limited crowd? [/list]

2. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

I forgot to mention i use a focusrite trackmaster preamp into an 002 console. Thanks in advance.

3. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

The only issues I have w/ the BB:

It's a hot mic, so it cuts. The more nasal/cutting the vocal, the more this will be accentuated. That's really two issues in one, I guess. Otherwise it is a really nice mic that compares well w/ more expensive condensers.

You can check my Vocal Mic Tests under the Microphones forum for a couple of examples.

4. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

the st69 looks to be exactly the same as the m-audio sputnik, but in an aesthetically different enclosure. all the specs are identical, and even the tube box is identical.

i have a sputnik and like it a lot. much smoother and silkier than the BLUE would be be.

dont get me wrong, bluebirds are badass. but maybe check into the BLUE Baby Bottle.

i dont think you'll make a bad decision either way