1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

STEVE or whomever may remember this,,,,

Discussion in 'Computing' started by Opus2000, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Due to the OS limitations of Win98 it can not record 24 bit audio files...does anyone know where there is a link to fully describe this issue or know what it is that does not permit 98 to do so? I know that you cant but I cant remember or cant find where I read it in full description!
    Thanks Guys!!
    Opus

2. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Hey Opus - Long time no hair... Don't know if you remember my post where I (semi) referred to my interesting view - of things flying past, like tractors, cows, etc. - Well, guess what? Been running on generator power since the 7th, have no idea when it'll end. Guess next time I ask for a bad-ass blow job I'll hafta be a LOT more specific...

Anyhoozitz, what the hell you talkin' about 24-bit limit ? I've been recording 32 bit files from Samplitude into a Win98 (first edition) DAW with a P-2 450 for the last 2 years. Comes into DSP Factory as 20 bit, tell Samplitude to work in 32 float, stays that way til you burn a CD, then you choose what kind of dither, etc, - Main reason I'm semi-sure on this is the time Win Explorer scared the **** outa me on file size - pulled up a list of files on a Samp project, and the WAV files were freakin' huge ! Did the math (always easier to come up with a theory AFTER you actually have some FACTS) and I came up with 10 MB per track minute @ 44.1 !!

Now, if you mean the Windows Media Player, then could be - I jokingly double-clicked on one of the Samplitude files I had just been listening to in Samp., and WMP (98) grimly informed me that when I gave it a "real" WAV file, it would begrudgingly get off its worthless ass and try to play it for me...

Other than that, I'll probably be a little scarce around here for a few more days, til the local electron salesmen get their "hose" filled up again and I can stop having to wear earplugs while I type. At least, I can still use the phone to harrass idiot salesmen into finding out what I DON'T already know, instead of taking MY nickel(s) to talk about $*^t I've already thrashed to death - Please, GOA, (God-Of-Audio) find me a way to connect at least 8 channels of 2496 between a DM-24 and a DAW (that doesn't cost more than the DM-24) I know I've been bad, but I'm doin' better than some of those other dudes with part Polish blood - at least I know to buy half of the nails with the heads on the other end... (reason it took so long to rebuild Warsaw)

Gotta go, Generac needs more "liquid electrons" - Man, that stuff smells so bad I bet there ain't a "chaser" made that'll kill the taste... Steve