1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Straight From My Heart (re-recorded original song)

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by iMacCartney, Jun 1, 2016.

1. iMacCartney

iMacCartney Active Member

Hi everyone,

”Straight From My Heart” is another ”one of the first songs” that I wrote and recorded a few years ago after buying my ”first DAW”. At the time I did only one mix / version and again, I was really never happy with the mix and the performances. So - now I’ve re-recorded almost every track and done some changes to the chord progression, arrangement, instrumentation etc.

Everything is recorded in my home studio by myself (except the ”old Gtr solo) using Logic X, 3U Audio Warbler MK IV mic, Apogee Duet 2, GAP Pre 73, Gavin and Peders guitars and a lot of different plug-ins.

This is the first mix of this song, not mastered, but I’ have used some eq’s, compression (2-3 db), tape sim in the mix bus + limiter to raise the over all level to peak at -0,5 dBFS / rms -14-15 dBFS max. I used only one reverb (but several reverb modes), Valhalla Plate (which I recently bought) in this mix as I wanted to test it. I’m not sure if it’s the right option to all tracks / instruments?

So - I’d appreciate any kind of feedback about the mix, levels, tones, performances or what ever that could help me to improve this mix. If anyone would like to compare this new version to the original, just listen to the original mix behind soundcloud.com/splproject/straight-from-my-heart (copy this link to your browser)

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Active Member

What did George, John, and Ringo say when you played it to them? ;) ---- love your voice - it's got a Paul merged with Julian Lennon quality to it that opens up as the song goes on. Is it just me or is the mix a little left side dominant? I love the restrained guitar playing - the purposeful avoidance of cliche - very song forward. My only mix critique would be that the song pops so much that I'm missing a little warmth that might otherwise exist in the silence -- like there's maybe just slightly too much sparkle. As always - defer to some of the more experienced guys here with mix stuff as I'm still learning the ins and out of it.

3. iMacCartney

Thanks DogsoverLava. Ringo liked the song, George and John didn't answer my call for some reason....:sneaky:
    As I wrote earlier, this is the Mix 1 and I mixed it until it sounded good to my ears. I didn't use any reference tracks etc that I normally use, just wanted mix it with a "feel". I'd like to receive some feedback/comments and improve the mix after that. So right now it may sound too bright, have too much sparkle.....

Thanks for your comments.

4. iMacCartney

Any other comments?

5. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Personally I'd try notching about -12db out at 3.6K

But thats' just me. YMMV.

6. iMacCartney

Thanks Sean. 12 db cut sounds like a lot...?

Here's a mix 2. A lot of level, eq etc. changes. Again, I’d appreciate any kind of feedback about the mix, levels, tones, performances or what ever that could help me to improve this mix.

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. iMacCartney

Mix 3. Many eq / level changes....

Attached Files:

8. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Active Member

Really really nice -- sounds great on my system. Lots of great instrumental parts that I can pick out in the mixes. -Love the turnarounds before coming back into the verses - the coda - all really nice stuff.

9. packrobottom

packrobottom Active Member

really nice warm listenable sounding vocals. some pitch correction artifacts in the first verse you might wanna look at.

10. iMacCartney

Thank you DogsoverLava. I appreciate your feedback.

11. iMacCartney

Thanks packrobottom. No pitch correction in verses so it must be something else. Will check it.

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Very nice.

If I may get into your snare without sounding insensitive to the wonderful work you have done.

If it were me producing /mixing this, the first thing I would do is augment the snare to a more "noble thwack attack".
    Your current snare is forcing your beautiful song and vocals into weakness, defeat, failure. The song can still have the gentle direction you have, but a change in the snare would give support and strength to you vocally rather than pulling you further "down".

Another way to describe what I hear.
    Your current snare lacks inspiration. Snares play a major support role to the backbone of a song, especially songs with this kind of openness. If you are going to use it, don't hide it and kill the attack. It needs conviction.
    A fuller body to it would greatly improve the music, thus the vocal dynamic. It may inspire you to sing it over again.
    The snare is neither here or there, it's just hiding in the mix lacking direction between brushes or a weak side stick. It's pulling you into a "rut", vocally. Change it and I think it will improve the production.

Hope that helps.

That being said, nice work.

13. iMacCartney

Thank you Audiokid. This is exactly the kind of feedback I need...but as a non-native English speaker I'm not quite sure what you mean. Anyway I did a lot of changes to snare - Dir - Top - Room -Btm levels, eq's, compressing and to my ears it sounds better now. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Attached Files:

14. iMacCartney

Some more/minor changes.....

Attached Files:

pcrecord likes this.
  15. iMacCartney

@audiokid, did you have time to listen to that "new" version?

16. CrazyLuke

CrazyLuke Active Member

I don't think even Alan Parsons could improve on this mix. This one's "in the can".

17. iMacCartney

:whistle::) Thanks Luke. I'm glad you liked it.

18. iMacCartney

Mix 6. Less compression and limiting in the mixbus, more dynamics.

@audiokid. I already changed the snare sound in the previous mixes. Any improvement?

Attached Files:

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I think this mix and a few others sounds clearer than your current above, but they all sound really good. The changes you've made are all subtle.
    My comment was directed at the actual snare and how it was possibly recorded? It sounds like the snare attack is late and the drum performance is not supportive enough which has a pulling back, laid back, behind the beat feel that does not help your performance like it could. So this is a production comment and it also could relate to how you miced the snare too?

Maybe this is a tip for the next time you record..

I'm being picky and treating this as a workshop.
    If I was mixing this I would most likely use a drum sample, use drum replacement to add (augment) life into the snare. I would choose a snare with a better snap, tuned similar to what you have, adding a bit more reverb and mix it in with your current snare.

I suspect Marco @pcrecord or other drummers here might be able to translate what I am suggesting?

Its Wooly sounding. It could be that your equipment is restricting the attack of the snare, I don't know. Which is why I would personally add a supporting (sample) to help add this into the snare track.
    Hope that helps explain things from a "music production perspective" . Nice work.(y)

DogsoverLava likes this.
  20. iMacCartney

@audiokid, thank you for your detailed comments.

Here a new and hopefully a final mix. A lot of changes in compression (mixbus, lead vocals), limiting (Mixbus), levels (everywhere), some re-tracking etc.

If you have time to listen to these, please let me know what you think.

Attached Files: