1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Strange clicks when recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ludu900, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ludu900

ludu900 Guest

I have recently purchased an interface. It has two inputs. I have used both a keyboard and a guitar. For some reason when i listen to the recording, I hear clicks that sound almost like cell phone interference in some parts. It is not too loud but it is definantly noticeable. What could be causing this?
    Could it be a faulty 1/4 cable?
    Is there a tool to fix it?
  2. Calc

Calc Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    that sounds like a latency issue. Try playing around with the latency settings on your audio interface and try recording again.
    Also, turn off your wifi, antivirus programs etc when recording.

Just ask if anything is unclear! :)
  3. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    What make and model of interface? What software are you using?
  4. ludu900

ludu900 Guest

im using an m-audio fast track pro usb audio interface. It has two inputs. Im using Music Creator 4 by Cakewalk.

The latency meter i guess is between 4096 and 128. What would be a good setting to put it on??
  5. ludu900

ludu900 Guest

I experimented with the latency and not much changed. Are there any other possible solutions??
  6. natural

natural Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Another place to look would be clocking issues.
    Software and hardware need to be 'in sync' with each other.
    There are usually procedures described in the manual to make all units happy with each other.
    But static or cliking could be caused by a number of things.
    If you suspect cables then the anomaly should be noticeable on both recording and playback. If it's playback only, then it's probably not a mechanical problem such as faulty cables or connections etc.
    hope this helps
  7. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If you have a wireless connection, this is the likely culprit. Disable it while you are recording. This is common especially with USB interfaces.
  8. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
  9. ludu900

ludu900 Guest

thank you
    i have around 3 or 4 other things plugged in so i will give that a try and ill read the whole manual
    and i also have connected to the internet so ill try all those things

thank you all
  10. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    You do all those things and your problems with this issue will disappear.

I guarantee it or my name isn't B***n H****mb*
  11. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Moderator Resource Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Western Pennsylvania, USA
    I use an M-Box for some location recording and mixing. Oddly enough, I used to get a clicking noise that would develop when I used a particular USB cable that had a ferrite choke on one end. I just used it because it was the right length. When I switched to a different USB cable the problem went away. It may not be the answer for you, but don't rule out the USB cable.

Also, if you're synching two devices that each have their own clocks, make sure one is the master and the other slaves to the clock signal provided by the master. This can cause a snapping sound similar to what you used to hear from an LP on a turntable - when the LP had built up some static electricity.

Good luck.