1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Strange Sounds During Recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by adam316, Jan 3, 2006.

1. adam316

adam316 Guest

Hey everybody. I've been lurking around these boards for almost a year and decided to join due to a recent "problem" I had.

I run an internet show and occasionally do guest interviews. There are usually some technical quirks due to the shoddy equipment I own (popping P's, guests not keeping their mouths near the mic, etc.) but this particular time odd sounds cropped up.

Check out this mp3 to hear what I mean:

http://rarshow.com/strangesounds.mp3

What the heck is that? Could the 50 foot XLR cable being coiled on the floor have caused the problem? Or the metal plates in my guest's face? These sounds could be heard through the headphones during the recording and they were LOUD. The coiled cable is my only guess but I'd like to know what would cause those sounds...and how to avoid them in the future (uncoil the cable, lol).

Thanks in advance.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Ouch! You're listening to an integrated circuit chip blowing up dude! Consider turning on your mixer about an hour before you start. You did say you had a crappy mixer. Isn't it wonderful? Maybe it was something you or your guests ate?

Years ago at the progressive rock-and-roll station I worked at in Baltimore, Frank Zappa did that on the air in the middle of an interview when talking about the FCC and what he thought about them! Brother did it smell bad! I sure do miss him.

Also you may want to consider putting some foam pop filters on your microphones, you can get them cheap from Radio Shaft and you may want to get an inexpensive compressor/limiter like a DBX 166 and crunch everything with about 10:1 ratio and up to about 10 DB worth of compression. That's perfect for talking heads. Every radio station does it. Just watch the compressor/limiters dancing behind the head of Howard Stern on his reruns on E entertainment TV cable network.

Remy Ann David