1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Strange wavefrom ?!?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Nest18, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Nest18

Nest18 Active Member

Home Page:
    Hello there,

I'm recording with a motu 828 a drum kit, I'm not clipping any where, everything as been look cafully by a pro-tech but we have a problem:

I'm using a superlux PRA-218A. Can it be a problem with the mic ?? I just bought it .... so can it be a problem with the membrane ?!?

Any thought ???

2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Did you discover this because it sounded bad, or did you simply notice it visually?
    In either case, does it sound bad? Does this happen on every transient?

3. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Distinguished Member

That one would have a notiable level of "click type" info.

Are any USB devices connected?

What was your clock/word data?

4. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Looks like one of 2 things:
    1. You could be hitting the mic with too much airpressure, (looks like it might be a kick drum signal), and the mic electronics are not happy.

OR

2. You have a bad MSB in your digitzer and the polarity is reversed. Can you record other signals with the same negative excusion? Do they also invert the peaks like that?

Steve (these are slightly educated wild assed guesses)

5. Nest18

Nest18 Active Member

Home Page:
    Ok, we made test yesterday with different mics. We used a Shure beta 52 and waves are now "normal". I think it might be problem with the superlux that is too sensitive. Or a default in conception.

David : It sounded bad, distorted. Even though We recorded at low level it was horrible. The Mic was out of the bass drum. It happened on every transcient.

Bill : No USB connected, Recorded in 44100 / 16bits. We have try different setting with no luck.

Steve : This is a kick, and the mic was 6 inch outside the bass drum. What is MSB ?? The only mic that was doing such things was the Superlux PRA-218A.

I think I'll do more tests with the mic, if their is a problem I'll send it back to Avlex/Superlux

Thank very much for your help.

6. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Distinguished Member

Consider simply micing the kick with a 57 at 2 feet for a reference wave. Look at it..it will be light on the bottom but anitomically close.