1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Studio Headphones.

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by djrowskie, Dec 4, 2007.

1. djrowskie

djrowskie Guest

Hi Everybody,

I've been looking around at reasonably affordable studio headphones. One's such as the Beyerdynamic DT 990's, AKG's K271 & 171 and I would love to know which would be the best buy for use in mixing & editing situations. I know that ideally monitors should be used but for the work I'm doing headphones are necessary.
    So, any suggestions????

2. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Do they need to be closed?

I found the Beyer DT990 too boomy and decided to use the AKG K241 which is half closed. I found the K271 a bit shy on the low end. Then again, a headphone is a very personal thing. Try them all. I have no other model numbers in my head. There is a popular Sony out there.

3. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

AKG 240S are fine.

Sennheiser is fine, too. The HD 280 model.

4. I love my Sennheiser HD25's and find what I do on them transfers well when I hear it on some decent monitors.

5. djrowskie

djrowskie Guest

I'm not too bothered if they're closed or not. I had a pair of DT 150s and they were a bit too heavy on the low end but otherwise pretty good all round. I'll check out the others you suggested and keep them coming as I'm still looking!! Thanks for the response so far!

6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

+1 for AKG 240. My prefered choice since the early 80's.

7. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

The Sony headphones is probably the MD-7506. It goes for around $ 100,00. I can't recall what I didn't like about them, but some here love that set.

8. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of 7506s next to me here, they sound harsh.
    I've never been a fan of 'em.

9. vashuba

vashuba Active Member

how do the DT 880 pro headphones translate into monitors? any experinces?

10. fiddler59

fiddler59 Active Member

I have really enjoyed using the Shure SRH-840's very natural and balanced. Not harsh at all !!!

David Blackmon

11. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Sony 7506 and ATH-M50's here...Sony's are bright and harsh compared to the M50's which are smooth, clear and have a much better low end response than the Sony's

12. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I'm a fan of all of the 240 Series from AKG.
    I also have Beyer 770Pro and 880s as well. They do things very differently and both are good. The AKGs have the edge in accuracy but the Beyers have the edge in "bottom end" and in isolation.

That being said, I'm going to start another thread about this, but I just picked up a pair of B&W P5 headphones. I would have thought, based on their pictures, that they were more "hifi" type headphones- geared for iPods, etc. However, all I can say about these headphones is.... WOW!!!! These are simply put, the best headphones I've ever heard. They simply sound "right." They don't have a hyped top or bottom, they don't have weird imaging, they simply sound like awesome speakers but strapped to your head. They're also immensely comfortable. I've listened to them for 8 hours straight with zero strain.

They look small, both in pictures and in person, but trust me, put them on and try them. They're well worth the $300. You can try them at Apple stores, but be careful! Most of the iPods that I tried them on had their EQ engaged and were set to pump out massive bass. Reset it to flat and you'll hear the magic of these cans. FWIW, they're also some of the best-built cans I've ever owned.

I bought them for my iPod and for Pandora, but they're going to be going out on my next major remote session as my main cans.

Cheers-
    J.

13. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I have always loved the open-air of Sennheiser headphones. I still love my HD 545's. Sure, I've mixed on HD 414' 424's, HD 280. I think if you're mixing you'll find that the open-air design more closely approaches the sound of studio speakers. They are much more open sounding. Closed earphones like the 280 & old Koss Pro 4AA's do not translate well when it comes to low end. So open-air when mixing. Closed back when recording. And that's the way it was, June 23rd, 2010.

Goodnight and good luck
    Mx. Remy Ann David

14. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I thought you worked for NBC...."Good night, Chet. Good night, David. And good night, for NBC News."

(And you really aren't old enough for "Good night and good luck.")

15. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

You are very correct as usual Bob. And I actually worked with David Brinkley before his retirement from NBC. I actually found him to be rather a schmuck. But hey, he was making the big bucks. Actually, I just finished watching the movie with George Clooney with that title. Your memory is obviously quite good as it should be being a math professor. O. I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener.

22 divided by 7 is a pi in most people's faces.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

16. BassFuzz

BassFuzz Active Member

Here's a recent SOS article comparing headphones
    Studio Headphones
    and also here's a PAR article comparing some
    PAR Session Trial: Premium Studio Headphones
    Hope these are helpful for ya.

17. TDMS

TDMS Guest

For closed back headphones I like the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

18. Shadow_7

Shadow_7 Active Member

I like my HD 280 pro's. But a bit of a tight fit on my big melon. Not that comfy for anything of duration. Decent low end for a set of headphones. Bought them used which I'll probably never do again. Got ear infections for the first time in my life from wearing them. First time that didn't involve a swimming pool anyway.

I had Sony MDR-V600's or was it MDV-R? Comfy for casual listening and long duration listening. Not as good of a low end as the 280s. And didn't exactly age well. The vinyl was peeling off like the first week, maybe month. Always leaving a trail of vinyl flakes, worse than my cat. Headphone dander...

7506's and ATH-M50's, I've been meaning to try out. Not that I'm currently in the market for a new set. And I hate wearing them in general because I sweat a lot. I've been meaning to try some ear buds with mower muffs over them at some point. But just a crazy ideal I had one time in terms of budget accessories. I hate mixing on them. I hate mixing in general, but still. I much prefer a good stereo pair. It is what it is, amp it, cut it, ship it.

Grado's or Stax eventually I suppose. But no real need for headphones for my current location and activities. Outside of multi-tracking.

19. TDMS

TDMS Guest

Shadow_7 I agree that they do become uncomfy after a awhile (you not in the melon club alone:cool:) but when I start sweating and getting ear fatigue I use that as a reason to tell myself I get a 15 min break! :rolleyes:

20. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

i like my 240's, i think they sound better than the closed back (271's, i think), which sounded too trebly. but like any open back cans, they bleed.