1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Studio Instruments

Discussion in 'Recording' started by pr0gr4m, Mar 5, 2005.

1. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    Most studios have musical instruments be it a grand piano, guitar cabinet/head, whatever. I've got a couple guitars, basses, some drum machines/samplers and a few classic synths.

I was wondering if there are any sort of standard musical instruments that most studios have that clients would expect. I'm thinking along the lines of something like a workstation synth, or drum kit are maybe specific guitar amps.

Recently, the work I've been doing has been passed along to me from other studios and I've run into a glitch here and there not having the same equipment as some place else.

Aside from instruments is there any specific gear (aside from NS-10s) that a studio should consider getting?

On the top of my aquire list is a B3 and leslie. More for personal use but it would be nice to have one in the studio for whatever.
  2. zacharym

zacharym Guest

I don't know that there is really anything you absolutely have to have?

a hammond with a leslie would certainly make your studio more attractive?

it's probably good to have a mid level drumset that is versitile...

you can probably get by with a pretty cheap bass... I have a epiphone eb-0 (it's a nice alternative to the standard p-bass or whatever)

there are a few standard recording amps that alot of studios seem to have on hand: a roland jazz chorus, fender twin, vox ac30...

any quality vintage synths would have to be thought of as a bonus?

I would suggest investing in some of the standard guitar pedals (you never know when someone will crack out something gross and want to record with it) a delay, big muff, tube screamer, tu-2...

I guess whatever you can get your hands on that other people don't have, gives you diversity and an edge.

there are certainly people better qualified then me, but I hope this helps?
  3. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

You canĀ“t have too many instruments in the studio. Anything that makes a sound. Lots of instruments to play around with = inspiring atmosphere.