1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Studio legend Carol Kaye gives Gene Simmons a lesson on bass

Discussion in 'Bass' started by audiokid, Dec 16, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

This is awesome.

2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Carol is a classy lady... incredibly talented, not only on bass, but on guitar, too.

I sent her an email last year, just to tell her how much I respected her playing, and the fact that she played such a huge part in the music that became the soundtrack to my generation.

I never expected it to happen, but She actually wrote me back, she was very sweet, and even told me a few behind-the-scenes stories from a few sessions.
    She mentioned being very sad about the current state of the music industry, the fact that so much great music could still be made, if only talented musicians would actually play and record again.... together.

I treasure that email. ;)

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Kurt invited Carol Kaye to RO a long time ago. Members asked her questions and she answered them with delight. The threads vanished though, what a loss.

4. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Lol...Gene looks like a beginner !....but I suppose, when you are taking lessons from a master;)

- Thanks for sharing Chris, I hadn't seen this one before, its good viewing(y)

5. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Carol Kaye would in no doubt be the greatest bass player that graced this earth...no-one even comes close

6. DonnyThompson

Well.. I don't know about "greatest"... she is a great player - and would certainly be on my list as of "one of the greatest of all time"... but she's not the only greatest player, and I think she'd probably be the first one to say that ...

There have certainly been other incredible session bassists, James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt ( Motown) Donald "Duck" Dunn ( Stax), Leland Sklar ( James Taylor, Carol King, Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne), Kasim Sultan ( Rundgren, Utopia, Meatloaf, Hall and Oates, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult), Tony Levin ( has played on over 500 albums for artists like Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Cher, Dire Straits, Stevie Nicks, Alice Cooper...)

From the Funk/Jazz side there was Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, Jaco Pastorius, Jeff Berlin, Charles Mingus, Bootsy Collins.... It's a pretty long list of fantastic and influential players.

They're all great, and they all do what they do superbly. It's hard to pick out just one and say "greatest", because they were all so great, and so different.

Jamerson:

Babbit: ( @2:05)

Louis Johnson: (@2:20)

Jaco:

7. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I should have ended my post IMO....;)

-But if you asked me if I had a choice to jam with anyone I choose, it would be Carol Kaye

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

We had Kasim as a mod here but after he agreed to, he never showed up lol. I finally removed him. He return the odd time but it seemed more like a publicity reason. I think I talked to him from NY once. Nice guy, great career. Busy fellow.
    http://recording.org/members/kasim-sulton.49597/
    http://recording.org/threads/lets-give-a-warm-welcome-to-kasim-sulton.2562/
    http://recording.org/threads/dithering.7966/#post-64566

http://recording.org/threads/taking-a-break.9161/#post-71952

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Kurt, they were calling her Carol Kane?

10. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

ahhh ..... the "Ferd Berfel" thread .... lol! that was a thread about a certain piece of gear that i said i didn't like. Doc made a mistake with her name i guess.

audiokid likes this.
  11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Fun times, you kicked a lot of ass back then. yup... Fun times.
    I have searched the forum thick and thin for those interviews, with nothing. Those were so special times. I must have lost a lot of data migrating from the old forums to where we are now.

12. DonnyThompson

Yeah, one would think that he's probably a bit too busy doing other things, and probably wouldn't have the time to moderate a website. He always seems to be doing something; touring, recording, etc.

It is pretty cool that he at least popped in a time or two, though. ;)

RO's definitely got a solid reputation for being the "home base" of serious professionals.

13. Mike Caliri

Mike Caliri Active Member

Over 10,000 recording's.She is a legend.Never made a lot of money.

14. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Another good interview of Carol

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

amen to that.

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Man,, she is so smooth and her axe is so well tuned.

Kurt, how did you and Treena hook up with Carol Kaye?

17. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Treena got to know her on internet. i think it had something to do with the Slutski thing. btw, she (and the other Wrecking Crew musicians) did get paid well for the sessions. triple scale i think. Hal Blaine remarks in the film that he was a millionaire until he went through a bad divorce.

kmetal likes this.
  18. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

She (carol Kaye) was super cool in the wrecking crew and muscle shoals documentaries. Jeff Becks bassist on tour is also a female, and a real monster on the instrument. Not that it matters, but there's a lot of girl bass players I see at clubs and shows. I wonder if they are biologically inclined to have better rythym. Either way she is such a huge part of music history. I wish there was a class or a book recognizing the work and life of all ther unsung, but often heard, music heroes.

19. Mike Caliri

Mike Caliri Active Member

I believe she still gives lessons online.

kmetal likes this.
  20. DonnyThompson