1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

studio mic stands

Discussion in 'Accessories & Connections' started by Paladyne, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

I have never actually BOUGHT a mic stand. Now I am in a position that I need to buy enough for my studio. If anyone could recomenend a reliable brand, I would appreciate it.

I dont need starbirds or atlas stands.

2. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

I've had good luck with AKG stands. There is very little plastic, and a whole bunch of metal, very sturdy, very dependable. I have (6) of them and they look and perform wonderfully. I believe they are the KM 210/91's, but I'm shooting from memory at this point. They're about middle of the road at $50/each.

3. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

when I bought mine I went to a local rental shop. He showed me a 10 year old AKG for $65 and a 6 month old "other brand" for $30.

I bought a dozen of the AKGs.

Steve

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

The AKG stands are real good and fairly priced. Atlas and Ultimate make some real good stands as well for a little more dough.

5. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

thanks yall, and merry christmas!

6. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

dang. can not seem to find ANY website that sells AKG stands... ???

7. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Try Sweetwater
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM210/21BL/
    or any local pro audio shop or
    Parson's audio http://www.paudio.com or the Music Factory in Hookset NH.

Steve

8. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

I bought my last batch here;
    MacMidiMusic AKG Stands

9. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

big thanks again!

10. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Guest

I'd suggest at least one big Atlas SB36W. They're pricey but a heavy tube mic won't unbalance it. If you've got a big room I'd suggest 3, one for vocals and two for drum overheads. Lots of AKG tripod stands for everything else.

YMMV.

11. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

AKG makes some great mic clips too...beat the heck out of the standard Shure ones for "regular" SM57/SM58 sized mics...

I bought 3 of the great big boom stands on the big casters with the big counter weights. Great to have around the studio for drum overheads, and was mentioned to hold the big heavy condensers without drooping. Best buy I ever made on mic stands...no fuss, no muss. The lack of hassle is worth the price, believe me!

12. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

thanks all! I think I will go with the ADK's. I used to assist at a studio that had like 15 starbird stands... if I had a billion dollars I would love to get 3 or for of them as well... I read that Manley bought their patent...

13. Chance

Chance Guest

Last year at the winter NAMM show I purchased 2 ON-STAGE boom mic stands. They are very reasonably priced and are more than adequate for my heavy tube mics. they sell for around $70.00 at GC. They come with wheels and a 3 position boom arm which is articulated

14. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

I bought 2 of the On Stage $70 stands as well. One has a stripped bolt for height adjustment and I cannot get a peep out of on stage for support to buy a replacement.

I not buying anymore on-stage stands.

Steve

15. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

What he said!!!

16. Malpasoman

Malpasoman Guest

The Quik Lok A50 stand is very heavy duty, reaches up pretty high, and can be had for around $125 - $150.