1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Studio Monitors ... Imperative?

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by lcouri, Jun 4, 2001.

1. lcouri

lcouri Guest

How important is having a pair of nearfield monitors with my home setup? I'm thinking of the entry level powered Yamaha (MSP5?) But is this an important part of the production element, or can it be substituted by some good headphones, and a spectrum analyser?

Thank you in Advance

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Not if you plan on working in stereo. It's hard to impossible to get stereo imaging with headphones that'll translate to a stereo speaker system. Also, headphones sound wetter, so your effects will sound different than you thought they did. There's an article in the June '00 Recording magazine if you need more details. The author thinks using headphones as monitors is possible, but I figure if you have to ask, the answer is probably no.

Bear

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Home Page:
    lc,

> ... can it be substituted by some good headphones, and a spectrum analyser? <

I agree with Bear that headphones are not good for mixing. For me the problem is that you can hear everything too clearly, so things that are too soft in the mix still sound okay on the phones.

--Ethan