1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Studio Projects?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Mad John, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

I am looking into these interestingly low priced mics as an option, particulatly the C3.

Does anyone have any dibs on the SP line?

Thanks in advance.

2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

forgive my ignorance/...what are the "C3" and "SP line" ?

3. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Not at all, they are some what of a mystery and not many know about them.

They are "Studio Project" brand. They make thier mics in China and they are designed in to Classic German specs, in the tradition you understand.

The C1 goes for $230.00 and it is said how it truly compares to a U87.

Check em out at:http://www.studioprojects.com

Let me know what you think! They have reviews by mix and a few others.

4. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Wait, that address is: http://www.studioprojectsusa.com

5. vox

vox Guest

Hi John, if you want 'horses mouth' info about Studio Projects you're in luck because Alan Hyatt, the owner, is a moderator down in the Designing The Future forum, here -

(Dead Link Removed)

The concensus among us bottom feeders is that the SP C1 is a very nice vocal mic that can also sound good on acoustic gtr and is for the price an exceptional value, but no it does not sound exactly like a U87 as the rumours stated.
    The C3 is supposedly the multi pattern version of the C1, and so far I have heard nothing but favourable comments.

6. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Sounds good to me. No, I did not think thet were like the U87, just compared to similar atrabutes.

I'll have to ask Alan about them.

7. HiString

HiString Guest

I recall Alan saying he will be absent for a few days due to commitments at NAMM.

Without wanting to start the type of flame war that developed elsewhere over SP mics, I will say this much.........I have owned a C1 for close to 1 year. Used it mainly on vocals and acoustics with absolutely no complaints. I have used it along with a U87 and NO, THEY DON'T SOUND ALIKE, although they do appear to be similar in some respects.

However I would strongly advise people to try ANY mic and make their own judgement before purchasing.

:cool:

8. ahyatt

ahyatt Active Member

Hey John,

The comparison thing has been a rough road. The design of the C1 and C3 were meant not to sound like an 87. I think the 87 is a reasonably good mic, but not my favorite Neumann by all means.

Like all mics, everyone hears differently. The problem has been a bunch of pretty well respected people have made claim that it sounds like an 87... I have not, but what do you do when someone says it does. Do you discount them as lame and call the names. Well a whole bunch of people have done that, or do you say, wait a minute, maybe if some credible people are making this claim, it might be worth checking out. That's for you to decide.

My position is is based on one issue only, and that is the mic itself. The C1 and C3 are what they are. If you hear them as a U87 sounding mic...wonderful, if not, that is perfectly fine. I think the C1 and C3 stand on their own as very well built mics with good quality control and consistency. Certianly well worth the price you would pay for them. The C1 is $100.00 less than the U87 Shockmount, and the C3 is $50.00 more than the U87 Shockmount. If you get a good recording from either of them, then you just got yourself a good deal.

The fact that some will compare them is an honor for me, but I don't count because I own the company. So, based on all the good press and comments we get, and that we have sold a good deal of these mics, I hope this would mean that there is something to them as far as a good quality and good sounding mic. Are they a U87? Well, does that matter? If you want a U87, you buy a U87. If you want a good mic and have a budget, you get a C1 or a C3, and yes, there are many other mics on the market to look at. Certianly the Studio Projects is not the only company out there, but you won't do badly buying one. Either of the C1 or C3 will add to your locker, but will not break the bank doing so! :D

Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group

9. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Alan, well said! :tu: :tu: :tu:

10. joeq

joeq Guest

I own a C1 mic and I love it. I've used it on male and female vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drum room and snare under all with excellent results.

I have done comparisons with other mics I have. Even on vocals, it ofent beats out some much more expensive mics in my collection.

I don't own a U87, but I did have a chance to talk into both mics in a side by side comparison set up at AES. It is not "the same", whatever that means, but on-axis at least the C1 does carry a lot of that "expensive" sound. I never tell my clients what I paid for it!

Unless I hit the lottery or something, the next LDC I buy will probably be another C1.

11. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Interesting Joe, thanks for your input!

I am definatly getting 2, maybey a C1 or a C3?

Cheers,

12. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

The C3 just plain sounds better than the C1... you can hear a difference on the free CD he has, and it shows on every preamp... the C3 through the 1072 sounds the best, it really has a better sound that is just plain nice as compared to even the Focusrite Red, which is my other favorite pre on that CD. Ask him for it, he may still have some.

13. HiString

HiString Guest

Since my original post in this thread, I have used my C1 as "Room/Ambient Mic" for drums, mic'd a bass cabinet, a 100 watt tube combo and a Marshall quad..............none of the amps were being driven particularly hard BUT with careful mic placement and using a semi dead isolation booth for the amps, so far we have achieved more than satisfactory results.

:cool:

14. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Tubedude, are you referring to the comparison w/the C3 in Carnoid?

15. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I don't usually do this but I have to go on a rant about this. Has any one considered that these things are made in CHINA? Everytime I hear "Made In China", I think of child or slave labor. In the interest of fairness can anyone comment on the working conditions these things are manufactured under? Shades of Kathy Lee! Aren't we are suposed to be more sensitive to these type of things, being from the artistic side of life? I personally don't want that kind of energy disssipated into my music. Not to mention cheap labor takes jobs away from hard working people who actually get paid and support their familys. The song goes, "Keep On Rockin' In The FREE WORLD!" Fats

16. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

RIGHT ON :tu:
    seriously....a good point.

17. Ralf

Ralf Guest

:) I just found it sooo funny! :p SHOCKMOUNT hahahahahah!!!

sorry :roll:
    Ralf

18. Steve Langer

Steve Langer Guest

On the human rights issues... I asked a friend about this before I bought my first Studio Projects product. My friend was one of the founders of rock festivals for a human rights group. He said the jobs at 797 in China are the kinds of jobs we want to encourage. These jobs require a skilled work force, more humane treatment and a living wage.

19. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

$*^t, on the basis of that.......I'll take three (since the slaves seem to be in good spirits today!)

Wheres the wine?

All hail "The great White way!"

20. Bowisc

Bowisc Active Member

I have a C3 as well as two of their new VTB-1 Mic pre-amps.

The C3 continues to impress me, the more I use it. You just can't come close for the price.

Bowisc