1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Subs in the studio?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jm2, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jm2

jm2 Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Do pro studios use subwoofers in their monitoring?

If not, why not?
  2. AudioGeezer

AudioGeezer Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I do
  3. Greener

Greener Guest

Some do and some don't.

Mostly a sub is only needed if you're doing surround stuff like 5.1 or 7.1, things like that.

If you have good enough monitors with at least 10" woofers you can get a pretty good idea of how the bass is sounding.

When you add a sub to a stereo monitor situation you run the risk of creating a boat load of nodal interference and mud in your room. A lot of acoustic testing and treatment and setup is required if you want to make your sub work for you in a positive way.

That being said, a sub is good to have to reference against. Doing most of your mixing on stereo monitors then referencing on a system with a good sub always helps.

The 135W RMS mono block which feeds the 12" in a custom ported enclosure in the boot of my car which is ported into the cabin is what I use. I'm a bass head, I love hyped phat huge bass but I wouldn't mix in my car because it would translate into crap anywhere else.

Subs rule for enjoying, they can be a pain for critical listening.
  4. AwedOne

AwedOne Guest

Subs...pizza...fish sandwiches...

I try to keep them all out of the studio. Things can get messy if there's too much bass on the sandwich :roll:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :twisted:
  5. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Home Page:
    I'm not running a pro studio by any means, but I do have a sub running w/ my main nearfield monitors (I have another pair for reference).

The only time I turn it on is when a client "needs" to hear more bass - or to check the bottom end on a song that calls for more of a dance feel.

Basically, almost never.
    And I still have issues w/ too much bass on the sandwich.
  6. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

Mar 3, 2006
    make mine ham please!