1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Suggestions for micing a bad drum kit.

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Clive Banks, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Clive Banks

Clive Banks Guest

Hello i have a student coming into my studio to do some recording. unfortunately the drum kit is rather er cheap sounding.
    I have four to six tracks i can devote to the percussion. Has anyone some ideas on placement and ways to improve the tonal characteristics?
  2. stickers

stickers Active Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Lowell MA
    Home Page:
    I have him by new heads and learn how to tune his drums. Personally, if they're not willing to take that step then they are not serious about recording, IMO.
  3. JWL

JWL Active Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Portland, Maine
    Home Page:
    Agreed. Most of the "tricks" I know for getting good drum sounds (my current fave is the recorderman technique, and other variations on the Glyn Johns technique) depend on a good-sounding kit in a good-sounding room.

But yes, new, properly-tuned heads will make a big difference.

I generally use 6 mics when recording drums: Kik, Snare, "crotch mic", 2 overheads, and a front room mic. This works well in my room and gives me a wide variety of drum tones to choose from when mixing. But yes, without a good sounding kit it's kinda moot.

Garbage in, Garbage out. No matter how hot Shirley Manson is. :wink:
  4. Clive Banks
    Stereo from a spaced coincedental pair over shoulders, kick mic inside bass drum aimed at the beater (6"). If snare is dead and bloated put some regular letter size paper on top , stack as many as you need and make sure the drummer hits it a little harder than normal,( 2-6 sheets).
  5. gilligan204

gilligan204 Guest

Rent a good kit from a music store, I ussually can get one for a weekend for about $40 , ussually DWs , makes life a lot easier, then tune , and mic em, and its all good. You won't have to work as hard IMHO

6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I have a 'special' errr...mic I use on crappy drum kits...Its made by Stihl.
  7. Clive Banks

Clive Banks Guest

Thank You . There are some good ideas there .