1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Suitable Simple Setup For Laptop Recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by smub, Jul 1, 2004.

1. smub

smub Guest

Hello,

I would like to record guitars/vocals on my laptop and am after suggestions for suitable soundcards & software, and anything else I might need, the cheaper the better (£500 max).

From browsing the forum & product websites I've found the Digidesign MBox & the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile or 410. Would these allow me to do what I want?. I know that the M-Box is supplied with ProTools LE but what software would I require (sequencing etc) to record overdubs and multiple tracks using an M-Audio device?.

I'm looking for something simple & cheap that will get the job done.

2. Ellegaard

Ellegaard Active Member

If you don't need the MIDI part, Kristal Audio Engine is free. Otherwise, try some of the bigger programs in limited editions or the cheaper ones at the market (N-Track, Cubase, etc.).

I use my FireWire 410 in conjunction with my laptop, and it works absolutely beautifully. I'd recommend that instead of the Audiophile firewire-think since it has built in preamps - very nice that you don't have to bring your own if you already have enough to carry around.

3. smub

smub Guest

Thanks, I had not heard of Kristal Audio Engine so I ill take a further look.

I think the 410 will do, however a few shops are clearing out some cheap Edirol products (UA5 / UR80) does anyone have any experience with these?

4. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Is'nt Edirol Rolands crap line of products? Excuse me, but I don't mean to step on anyones toes, just my assumption from hearing past experiences. Maybe that's why they're clearing house.

5. Ellegaard

Ellegaard Active Member

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php for Kristal Audio Engine.

Good things about the FireWire 410 is that it has two headphone outs. Nice feature that's missing on the MBox. Also nice that it has 8 outputs, so it supports surround sound and allows you to do all that digital DJ-ing, if you're into that. Very flexible unit. If you have a laptop with 6-pin firewire interfaces (NOT 6-pin CardBus interfaces!), the computer itself can provide power for the soundcard.