Last weekend we did a recording of a children's choir. I do this about 5 times a year. I know what to expect BUT this time they threw us a big curve. Normally this choir is done a cappella with some songs being accompanied by piano. I got a copy of the program at the beginning of the week (something that we ask for all the time) and did not note any real problems with the music. Well we got to the church and "discovered" that they had "decided" to use amplified music from a CD for their medley of the songs from RENT. They had a PA system and CD player all set up and were rehearsing with it when we arrived. We were about 11 miles from home base and I had not brought any direct boxes or other ways of getting the sound out of the amplified system so we had to do it with our normal microphones. We were using two AKG blueline cardioid microphones in a coincident pair for the main pickup and an AT 4051 for the piano (placed under the piano since they did not want to open the lid) and I did have a microphone splitter so we were able to split the soloist microphone that was being used for the PA system. The recording came off well and we had no problems with the pickup and it sounded very good. Needless to say I was sweating bullets and will never again take anything for granted when it comes to recording this group. I talked to the business manager afterwards and she said she knew about the amplified piece but had "forgotten to tell us". The only other problems we ran into were that the room they had for us to record in was the sacristy which had a large refrigerator used for flowers in it (we were able to turn it off for the concert) and their was a very strange rumbling sound that came and went a regular intervals throughout the performance which we finally decided was an ancient elevator used for bringing handicapped persons up from the rear parking lot and was used throughout the concert by others. All in all a good experience with some white knuckle time interspersed.