1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Swapping Avantone Mixcubes for Yamaha NS10's

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by ChrisH, Jun 14, 2014.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Would like some information from people who've owned both mixcubes and ns10's.

I'm looking to swap out my mixcubes for some ns10's, the mixcubes are useful, however I'm thinking I could get everything I get out of the mixcubes out of some NS10's plus the low-mids (where my Adam A77x's are too forgiving) and mid-highs.
    Anybody using both NS10's and mixcubes?
    Good swap or bad idea?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

nope. you need both the cubes and NS10's along with some big mains that do at least 40 Hz.

i have had them all.

kmetal likes this.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

As usual, Kurt is dead on.
    If you've been following my resent Mixing Bass thread (the part about cubes in there), there is more to cubes than you may have experienced.
    I would never part with these. They are essential components for dialing in. Don't sell them.

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Most pro studios had both back in the day, and most pro studios still do. Having a bigger set of mains allows you to reference your low end better, but, the room is going to be a factor in this as well.

Personally, I never liked the NS10's for extended period mixing, because they could be so fatiguing, but, then again, they aren't meant to sound pleasing, they are meant to help your mixes translate to a variety of different playback systems, and they do this very well. The old Auratones, and today's Avantones, are meant to do much the same. I still have an old pair of Aura cubes that I use, along with a pair of NS10's that I use for occasional reference, although I don't go for long periods with the Yamaha's. For long tracking or mix sessions I use Alesis Monitor Ones (passives) but I'm constantly checking through the other monitors.

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I use the Avantones for check to make sure the mids are working, that's it.
    Once in a while they show me something I missed on my mains.

Recently I added a pair of old vintage inclosed cabinet bookshelf speakers that have 4' drivers, if you can get the kick and bass to sound right on those, it'll sound good on everything, iphone, imac, laptop, earbuds, ect..
    They're also revealing in the mid-highs.
    Honestly, It would be a surprise to me if NS10's represented the low-mids as well as those other bookshelf speakers, givin their size.

6. Kurt Foster

link for article on NS10's

7. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Well, I've got a pair of NS10's on the way. Now I just gotta get an amp and a monitor switcher.
    I'm thinkin the ProCo switch witch since the Dangerous unit is out of reach

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Re controllers, if you need more idea's,
    I had the SPL 2381 MTC that was really excellent. (y) I've seen them on the slutz for around $400. PreSonus has one too.

9. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

If you can get your hands on an old hafler amp, it'd work pretty well w the ns 10s, w/out getting esoteric, or super expensive. One monitor controller I can personally say to avoid is the Mackie big knob. It's got great features and messes w the sound in a thinning/smearing manner. A B ing w and w/out it from motu, and apogee interfaces made an audible difference, in the subjective fullness, to a bunch of us at the studio.

Monitor controllers is a place a would think long and hard about, and really it's a boring peice of equipment to buy, but it's I between your music and your ears, and it should be good, really good. I dunno what your using for an interface, but if you had enough outputs on it, I would skip the montior controller, unless it was a really good one, like a Coleman, or dangerous.

That said I haven tried the ones Chris mentioned, but my experience w the big knob is big waste of money.

bigtree likes this.
  10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Well said Kyle.

To clarify, I don't have any experience with the PreSonus but I've hear its good for the price.
    My Monitor controller was the best investment I made because it taught me how to use a hybrid system correctly. The SPL MTC is very well thought out but lacks in comparison the the next step up.
    The Dangerous Monitor ST is an incredible work of art. When I got that one, everything came together, but, you need DA's with it. Not cheap, but you will never regret it once your join the party. (y)

ChrisH and kmetal like this.
  11. Kurt Foster

Radial MC3 looks to be an affordable solution. it's passive so there should be minimal coloration and it has trims to match levels between speakers sets ... Radial stuff is built like a tank.

mc3-top-320.png

12. kmetal

Hmmm, that looks really cool. I m very happy w the radial passive re amp box I got. I ab ed it against the little labs offering my boss has, which was three times the price, and there was very little difference, tho there was a slight reduction in top end, nothing that couldn't be compensated for painlessly on the amp.

That might make a nice addition the the studio upgrade. Good call Kurt!

13. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

The really scary thing is how dreadful some of the current home cinema systems really are. While I too have some NS10s, I'd gotten out of the habit of using them, and hearing one of my DVDs being played on one of these things, I went back, turned the NS10s back on and listened to the DVD mix - the bass was really horrible - and no wonder why the over pushed bass on the home cinema sounded so bad. Remixed on the NS10s, as I always used to do, the home cinema behaved. Luckily most of what I record doesn't have much going on down below - but I had a worrying period revisiting everything. NS10s do sound quite bland and boring - but that's what they're for really. If everyone is listening on these systems which have frequency responses that look like a mountain range no wonder it needs a bit more control when you're mixing.

I'm not sure that trying to improve the sound of your show the warts monitoring is sensible - surely what you want is something that doesn't enhance, and is more typical of whatever 'average' really is?

14. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Kyle, my interface is an Apogee Symphony system.
    Thank you guys for the suggestions.
    However they design the software so there is no sensible way to switch outputs, even though I have 16 X 16 analog IO.
    I was hoping the http://www.procosound.com/switchwitch would be transparent, feature wise it's all I need.

15. kmetal

What if you did it in the DAW basically having a few stereo pairs created, then just selected them on the master faders output selector. Just brainstorming.

Proco isn't exactly the highest fidelity stuff of earth, but it's a passive box and probably pretty straight wire under the hood, so I'd say it's worth a shot, as long as the return policy is good. I'd def ab it, but it looks to me like just a splitter w some on off switches.

I think the real trouble w the lesser monitor control units is when they have active electronics, the signal starts to degrade. Remy or Boswell or Kurt would probably know the more technical reasons, but I think it has to do w amps introducing distortions, and nonlinealities.

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I believe that is a grand idea, but there would need to be a separate software to do so with fluidity and for when the daw isn't running.
    Maybe there's a way to do it in Apogees Maestro software... You'd think it would for the leg I gave em.

kmetal likes this.
  17. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

So... NS10's.. :D

Got my pair (NS10M), great condition, first impression before pluggin them in was "Damn, these are actually built solid", I forget that back 25 years ago (before i was born) most things were built to last more than a 2 years.

In a one sentence nutshell: they are going to become my "main" monitors.

They show how over-the-top forgiving my adams are and exactly how well a song was engineered, I love that, priceless.
    It's actually funny how blatantly they reveal a bad mix, even the difference between a good mix and a great mix is blatantly obvious.
    They're also a dream for mixing low-mids, overall balance, and big rock guitar placement.
    Their frequency response range I feel is great for a subpar control room.
    I know I'm preaching to the choir/You guys already know this but I'm ecstatic about this purchase.
    I'm keeping the adams for the sub frequency checking, different reference, but 98% of my mixing will most likely happen on the NS10's.
    The avantone mixcubes I'll keep as well but for me right now they're just a really expensive reference, once is a while they do show something I missed in the upper mids.
    You guys doing any mixing on the cubes or are you just using them for a reference? Also, what placement do you use them in?

Kurt Foster likes this.
  18. Kurt Foster

ahhhhhh! a convert ......:D

ChrisH likes this.
  19. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Good Luck. I use NS10's as well...but only as incidental reference.

I just can't take how harsh they are for those long sessions. They burn me out faster than any other monitor I've ever used... But, they serve their purpose.

IMHO of course

d/

20. kmetal

I've never mixed a whole session on them yet, so far just references back and forth, but I love the Meyer hd1s I use, and well the big soffit mount 813c's are just too much fun to not use. But I to consistently use them for sanity checks.

Chris H- what are you using for an amp on them, just curious?