Well, progress is being made. I am getting ready to change my username on this forum, because I don't think I'm that "Confused" anymore. I think I'll become "Getting It", or something like that, because I'm no long that frustrated with my DAW anymore. I don't work on it full time, but the little time I have spent on it so far has been fruitful. Here's what I've done: I got an article someplace on how to optimize Windows for audio work. It involves setting the CPU for "background operation", turning off all those cute visual effects like "Aero Glass", shadowing, etc in Windows, shutting off system sounds, and turning off alerts to updates and system checks. HP is bad for flashing up this little diagnostic helper once in a while that offers to do a tuneup on your system, so I've shut that down. I need to remember to defrag the hard drive, set a restore point, and empty the temporary folder and recycle bin once in a while - as well as manually check for updates to keep Windows current - but that must still all help. I took out the old WaveLab 4 that I have had for many years, because it wouldn't run, and just sat there. I also removed NI's famous Hammond emulator B4II (even though I love it), and I hate to say I broke down and bought a full package of the newest WaveLab, version 7. It comes with its own dongle, and I've got that all registered and working fine now. I wasn't sure if I could apply the licensing of it to the dongle I've already got in for Cubase 5.0, but I got it all working with two hardware keys now in the back of my PC. No biggie - I'll live with it. I installed a second hard drive in my system, the one from my old PC. It's only got 250GB, but I will be putting my projects to it. The programs, VSTIs, and all the Native Instruments Komplete stuff is still on the main HDD. I've got the buffer settings at 1024 for now, and I think that's okay. I might tune it down a bit till latency becomes a problem. Finally, I have tried using things, and I seem to have it all working without having to strip it all down and reload it all. The only problem I'm having right now is some MIDI notes hanging, but I will keep working on that. This is how things stand so far. Next time you hear from me, I'll have a different (and more positive!) username. I'll be happily making music. Thanks for everybody's help! I'll continue to post regularly and become part of the "community".