1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

T-Bone Micplug USB & MXL 990

Discussion in 'Recording' started by parmele, Jan 28, 2010.

1. parmele

parmele Guest

I plan to begin podcasting. Also, know in the future I'd like to record vocals and keyboard (but not immediately).

I settled on the MXL 990 microphone. Now, until yesterday I knew absolutely nothing. Including what a pop filter was. I now know in order to hook this mic into the PC I need a preamp with phantom power and preferably an audio interface. My sound card is a normal Creative 5.1. I was planning to spend about €100 on the two of them (low budget).

But then I discovered the T-Bone Micplug USB. On the surface, to me, this looks like a good deal for €30. Is it terrible quality? Also, this appears to plug directly into the microphone w/o an XLR cord. Is that right? So, would this combo work for me?

I'm also not opposed to hearing other options/opinions on a good setup. I plan to purchase everything through Thomann.de and I'm in Dublin.

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

The USB cable might not be very long. You could plug it straight into the mic or use a cable to give you more reach.
    Can't comment on the quality but similar units aren't given much credit when I've read about them.

3. parmele

parmele Guest

I've done a little more digging. Nobody seems to use the T-Bone Micplug. But the Blue Icicle seems popular.

It has good reviews. I know it's probably not as good as a "real" preamp and audio interface... So new question, anybody use a similar setup? Will there be a huge quality loss - or as a complete amateur will I not notice?

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Don't get a Blue Icicle - the gain arrangement it employs internally is not up to the task.

The T-Bone Micplug, while not great, at least can be made to work in your situation. You can, of course, use standard XLR(M)-XLR(F) mic cables to extend the length. Don't be tempted to use USB extenders or hubs with it.

5. vocals

vocals Guest

I recommend trying the CEntrance micPort Pro - the only one of the small USB converters that actually includes a professional preamp. Read up on it - used by the BBC and the like.

CEntrance -> MicPort Pro