1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tab Telefunken tubes

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by anonymous, Jun 19, 2005.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I have been reading about telefunken tubes in some of the post lately. Where are you guys getting these from?

2. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

I see telefunken tubes on ebay all day, check it out

3. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Check with Mike at http://www.vacuumtubes.com .

4. frob

frob Well-Known Member

as always bewhere on da'bay. you will see many telifunken type tubes.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

And most are open box (not sealed) and some dont even have the ink left on them (not even a name on them), but are selling as Telefunken tubes.
    I would atleast want to be assured that they were not "used" tubes.

6. frob

frob Well-Known Member

some of the used tubes you can get can be good though, if they where tested properly. i knew someone who did this untill his tester failed.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I can dig it. But there were some bids on there for $600 (and still going up with 2 days left on the bid) for some of those "used" tubes. Wow!
    I am not rich enough to chance it. And why can't we get these puppies new? Did the factory get blown up during WWII? :shock:

8. jonyoung

The vendor I mentioned in my earlier reply sells used Telefunkens for about $80. They're tested and come with a money back trial period. It's RRREEEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYYY hard to find new ones......

9. frob

frob Well-Known Member

any new telefunken tube is really NOS (new old stock) in other words been sitting on a self in some old guys shop untill his grandson says "holy $*^t you have unopend telefunken tubes back here, do know what there worth?" if the kids a bastard he would say simply "hey i cleaned off that old dusty self of thouse usless glass things" then go see them behind his back.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Damn.
    So, is it likely that if I buy some online, or whereever that they will be worth a sh!t?
    I wonder how old they are? 35 to 45 years old?
    And do they still work after sitting around for so long?
    I want to buy some to try them out, but its starting to seem like more of a risk. :x

11. jonyoung

Good quality tubes are designed for tens of thousands of hours of use. Unlike solid state, they don't crap out all at once, it's a slow decay curve. If they test good, they're good. I put some NOS tubes that are probably 40+ years old in a couple of preamps last year, never been happier. BTW, if Telefunkens are hard to find, check out Mullards.