1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Take the liquidmix challenge

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Imaginaryday, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

This challenge provides ten different excerpts; each features a dry sample, followed by two processed samples, A and B. One of these is processed through the original vintage or classic hardware, the other through a Liquid Mix emulation of the same unit. The question is, ‘which is which?

I scored 70% correct but, my ears preferred the liquid mix (go figure).

Click for help files

2. I was surprised by how often I chose the Liquid Mix, though I suspect this "challenge" is a little skewed.

3. pman

pman Guest

Sweet I got 80 and i I liked the sound of the liquid mix 25% of the time
    wouldnt be getting one of those then

4. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

it could very well be.
    i've had liquidmix for three months and i love what it does for the money (paid $500.) The fact that i can run 32 mono track per session is sweet.

5. Halifaxsoundguy

Halifaxsoundguy Active Member

It made me feel like I had no Ears. I had trouble noticing the subtle changes in some of the examples. I need to buy Golden Ears (Effective but dryer than a popcorn fart)

6. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

I could hear a clear difference most of the time.
    Considering that none of them were too far off, its pretty surprising. but the guys behind th samples did not do a very could just compressing and EQing.
    I would need to hear either my self, or some one I know to be good with gear A/B the two before I would every consider it an appropriate comparison.

7. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

80% right and preferred the real thing. That wasn't what I was hoping for. I was hoping I'd prefer the Liquid Mix to save myself a ton of money.

It looks like I'm going to have to save by switching to Geico.