1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

taking the vocals out of music

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by trojanso9, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. trojanso9

    trojanso9 Guest

    anyone know how i can take the vocals out of a song so i just have the music
  2. guitarbill

    guitarbill Guest

    Although none of these units are perfect, one of the best ways is to use a digital vocal eliminator such as the Al**is V**al Zapp*r or the cd player for vocalists made by the same folks (which I personally own and highly recommend mainly because it can also transpose and change pitch and rythym on the fly which is pretty amazing to an old analog guy like me). I have also tried the digital version of the Th**pson vocal eliminator that came to me for repair a few years ago although it's a lot spendier. PM me if you can't figure out who I'm talking about.

    Hope that helps you some.
  3. natural

    natural Active Member

    before you spend funds on the suggestions of guitarbill, try this.
    First try taking the stereo mix- pan to mono - reverse polarity on 1 channel.
    Sometimes this works, sometimes it only works a little.
    If it works well, but the bass dissapears, take one channel, and send it to a 3rd channel, - low pass filter around 100hz and mix in ever so slightly.
    salt to taste and serve.
    If all else fails, the previous suggestions might get you closer, but even they will tell you that there's only about a 30% chance of complete removal.
    hope this helps
  4. trojanso9

    trojanso9 Guest

    how do i reverse polarity? or pan to mono. to i just pan to left or right speakers?
  5. natural

    natural Active Member

    Panning to Center will create a mono sound.
    Most recording consoles have a button to reverse polarity. It's usually labeled Phase or may have a symbol of a circle with a line running through it.
    Most consoles also come with a manual which should explain it's functions. You might find more detailed info there.
    If there's no console used, you can create a cable that has it's pos and neg leads reversed. There's probably more info on that somewhere in all these forums.
    I'm new to this site,but there should be a search button around here somewhere.
    Hope this helps
  6. ggunn

    ggunn Guest

    No. Doing this with a regular high Z cable (RCA or 1/4") will just short the signal to ground.
  7. natural

    natural Active Member

    Ahh yes, you are correct. I should have been more detailed that I was referring to a balanced setup. So, without a console I guess, he'll need a couple of DI's, some cable, a soldering gun, connectors, etc. In which case, it's probably better to buy one of the products mentioned earlier. But since this is the 'Recording' forum, I would think that there should be some kind of mixer involved.
  8. guitarbill

    guitarbill Guest

    Ah, yes. The marvels of DSP vocal elimination for $99 bucks. Or horsing around for hours and hours trying to get some of the way there. Makes perfect sense to me!
  9. welo

    welo Guest

    You might wanna try Voice Trap from the Clone Ensemble developer. It won't eliminate everything but yields a product good enough to practice to. And for twenty five bucks it's probably the most cost efficient solution out there. The green GUI is borderline horrible though :).

Share This Page