1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tape/Channel-strip analog style plugs for PC?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by RandomGuest, Mar 21, 2003.

1. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of any VST or DX tape/channel-strip style plugs, similar to the McDSP and DuY stuff.
  2. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Mar 19, 2001
    New Milford, CT USA
    Home Page:

There are lots of them, but I question the value of that approach. Mostly because a plug-in that offers everything will probably use more of the PC's resources than separate, dedicatedplug-ins

I use and love the UltraFunk plug-in pack. This is a great collection of separateplug-ins so you can use only what a track really needs which is very efficient. The best part about the UF plugs is they sound great, but equally appealing is the reasonable price ($300) and that it's not copy protected.

3. Mitchell,
    I am a Pro Tools guy, but cross-platform-wise I would recommend the Wavesplug-ins They are expensive, but you could download a demo and try them out. Doc
  4. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Thankyou, but I actually meant something more along the lines of a tape/tube saturation simulator to help add that big, warm analog type sound.

sorry for being unclear.

I have found a couple (PSP vintage warmer and RubyTube) that I'll be trying. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.
  5. Ah, gotcha. Please post back with your opinion on those pluggers. Doc
  6. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Sure, Doc. I'll let you know what I think of'em.

7. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    PSP has also just released a new plug-in that resembles a vintage channel strip...looks pretty cool. I don't think it is shipping yet however. I am anxious to hear some reviews on the sound. PSP is a very impressive company, and from what I hear, are moving toward "boxed" products rather than strictly "download" products.
  8. 3dchris

3dchris Active Member

Dec 29, 2002
    I think that one of the best tape saturator kind of plugins is PSP Vintage Warmer. Did you have a look at it? It really sounds great.

9. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Well, I've messed around with the PSP stuff and I gotta say, I like it! I had considered recording drums and guitars to an MS16 I've got and then dumping it into Samplitude, but I think these simulators will do the job nicely. No point in dealing with sync issues and tape hiss if I don't have to.

I haven't done much with RubyTube yet. Probably 'cus it wasn't as cool looking as the PSP stuff. Yea, I'm a sucker for cool graphics. It looks pretty darn easy to use though, so I'm still going to give it a listen. Plus, it's free.
  10. chrisperra

chrisperra Active Member

Oct 24, 2002
    magneto from steinberg is cool.about 300 bucks though.

chris perra
  11. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I am beta testing some PSP stuff. They are realy good stuff!
    I will post a complete review soon as I reach the end of my never lasting album

Doc, what is your PT rig?
    001,Mix, hd?
    inside the box or light piped?
    to console?
    ACB ( man, this baptism name comes from Kurt).
  12. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

Anybody checked out the Nomad Factory Blue Tubes?

They are offline at the moment but i'm sure they'll get back. I use these and i must say that they rock the house :)

Very warm and subtle sound. It's a complete set including compressors, limiter, delay, eq (pulteq style) and more

ps: this ain't an ad ;)