1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tapes for Tascam DA78

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by antistar, Mar 5, 2005.

1. antistar

antistar Guest

Is is better to use Hi-8ME rather than Hi-8MP? Also I've got some at home except they say on them 'video'. Does that mean I need to get ones dedicated for audio or could I use the ones I have?

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    Check the manual and go with Tascam's suggestions... One might be more abrasive than the other, leading to shorter head life.

They pretty much all say "video" on them - Hi8 is a video standard (just like ADAT is an SVHS video tape).
  3. antistar

antistar Guest

Tascam just says Hi-8MP/ME. I want to make sure cos these things aren't cheap! I thought tapes for audio were usually labelled with 'DTRS'.
  4. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Home Page:
    Get the Fuji Metal Particle tapes (DPD-xxMP). They are the recommended tapes for 24 bit work. Never had a problem with them... Other DTRS tapes may be ok for 16 bit operation, but I'd only trust the Fuji's for 24 bit.

5. Philbul

Philbul Guest

We are using mostly EMTEC DTRS MASTER DA 113 MP. Sometimes Maxxel and Sony-s DTRS cassettes.