1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

tapes storage and analog troubles

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Amighetti Ronnie, Apr 13, 2001.

1. hi,
    I've just bought a Tascam ATR80/24, 2" 24 track, and I'm facing the usual problem with analog:
    tape storage
    heads demagnetizing
    electronic calibration

and so on.

Anyway, I've found a paper on Quantegy website, telling that reels should be stored in a 45/50% humidity environment, and with 20°. The temperature is not a problem, but where I live the humidity is around 55/60%.

I tried to lower the humidity in teh studio, but it seems very difficult (and exapnsive).

So', I ve been tol dby my wife that exist a kind of small bool full with hygro-salt, that I should put in a cabine with the reels.

I would liek to knwo if it can be a viable solution, or any advice you can give me on tape storage.....

ciao
    ronnie

2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

If you want to attempt that, you should also get a humidity guage from the hardware store.

Put the salt thing in the cabinet along with the guage, and monitor the humidity over a number of days before you put any tapes in. If it doesn't keep hum. consistent, you'll need to find a more controlled solution. There are electronic de-humidifier systems that range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand $$. (US$)

If you turn songs around (and get a client/record label to buy the masters) in a year or less, 55-60% hum. won't be a problem. If they'll sit on the shelf 3 or more years, you should look into building a proper temp. & hum. controlled closet.

Hope that helps.